• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake operation

SterlingDevelop

Can someone tell me the theory of operation of the brakes on the M105?
I do not know how they are supposed to work.
I connected the glad hand to an air source, jacked the wheels off the ground and rotated the wheels. It seems not to matter what I do, the brakes do not work. The hand brake works fine.
Thanks

Scrounger

The standard 105 brakes, this applies to the one with one air line. When one applies the brakes air is fed from the service air line, can be painted yellow or blue, goes to a diaphragm that is connect to a rod that in turn operates the hydraulic master cylinder.
From that point it is just like any other hydraulic system with wheel cylinders and brake shoes. If the brakes aren’t working when air is supplied first check the fluid level in the master cylinder. The other thing is the brakes may need to be bled. If that doesn’t work the diaphragm may be bad. If it is one should hear an air leak when the brakes are applied.
The parking brakes are mechanical.

ida34

Did you turn the valve on on the service brake side of your truck? It should be just before the 90 elbow that connects to the yellow gladhand.

ida34

I just saw that you may not be using a military truck. I would think you still have a valve before the gladhand.

5tonpuller

My M106 has 2 master cyl. that work each axle. There is a valve on the air tank that when the air supply hose is unhooked it applys the brakes from what air is in the tank. ( if no air no brakes ) You might have to hook that up first and leave it hooked up and put air to the service one at the same time to work them.
My $.05 worth

SterlingDevelop

Scrounger said:
The standard 105 brakes, this applies to the one with one air line. When one applies the brakes air is fed from the service air line, can be painted yellow or blue, goes to a diaphragm that is connect to a rod that in turn operates the hydraulic master cylinder.
From that point it is just like any other hydraulic system with wheel cylinders and brake shoes. If the brakes aren’t working when air is supplied first check the fluid level in the master cylinder. The other thing is the brakes may need to be bled. If that doesn’t work the diaphragm may be bad. If it is one should hear an air leak when the brakes are applied.
The parking brakes are mechanical.
The truck that I plan on towing with is an IFA W50. The brakes wil not work until sufficient air pressure has built up. When applying the brakes, air pressure is released, and the brakes enage. This seems to be opposite function of what you are saying. In other words, if I lose air pressure, the brakes start to automatically engage. This would seem to be a safety thing. The glad hand in the back of the IFA has a valve. When it is on, air flows through all the time, then when the brake pedal is applied in the cab, the air to that glad hand is immediately cut off.
Does it look like the trailer and truck brake systems are opposite?
I assume that the trailer can't work the same way as the truck, otherwise I could not have towed it home from GL with my Chevy. I guess if it worked as the IFA did, the brakes would have been locked.
Any thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks