• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BRDM-2 street legal.

Notagerman

How can I make the BRDM-2 that I’m planning on buying street legal, the vehicle is in good condition from pictures that I‘ve seen, and its being imported from the Czech Republic, could it be made street legal in the state of California?

-I want to use it to replace my car.
-Everyday use.
-Street legal
those are my goals, does anyone have any sort of advice to get it street legal, since I contacted the DMV, and they said “A tank cannot be registered” according to the DMV they call it a tank and said it couldn’t be registered as road legal in california, does anyone have any ideas on how to make it street legal?

D6T

The translation of the BRDM acronym results in something like “wheeled armored reconnaissance vehicle”.

In my many years of being familiar with Warsaw Bloc vehicles, and particularly with the BRDM2, I’ve never heard of it referred to as a tank.

A quick check online shows a generally-accepted definition of tank as being tracked, heavily armored, and heavily armed.

Even a chassis mounting a rack of Swatters (very early) or Saggers still has thin armor and rolls on wheels and tires.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How can I make the BRDM-2 that I’m planning on buying street legal, the vehicle is in good condition from pictures that I‘ve seen, and its being imported from the Czech Republic, could it be made street legal in the state of California?

-Everyday use.
-Street legal
those are my goals, does anyone have any sort of advice to get it street legal, since I contacted the DMV, and they said “A tank cannot be registered” according to the DMV they call it a tank and said it couldn’t be registered as road legal in california, does anyone have any ideas on how to make it street legal?
Sounds really grand, but the California DMV is already having problems registering a HMMWV. I can't imagine that they are going to help you register a BRDM-2. Maybe you could register it in another state - but at some point in time - when you hit the road I can just imagine the CHiPs folks going off the deep end... It may be you would do better in some less communistic state... It could be time for you to relocate?

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BDRMs are over-width as I recall which means you need permits to move it, which would be prohibitive for daily use. Parts are also hard to come by stateside which would make the maintenance and upkeep involved with daily driving one difficult. Visibility also is not conducive to daily driving.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter

-Everyday use.
-Street legal
Even if you could eventually register the BRDM-2 in California, why would you want to make it your daily driver? It has terrible fuel economy, is very uncomfortable to drive, has very poor visibility, etc. I suspect you stand zero chance of registering a BRDM-2 in California. As Mullaney said, you are likely to have to relocate to another state to register the vehicle. Insurance would be another problem. However, it would be a neat acquisition, so good luck!

Notagerman

BDRMs are over-width as I recall which means you need permits to move it, which would be prohibitive for daily use. Parts are also hard to come by stateside which would make the maintenance and upkeep involved with daily driving one difficult. Visibility also is not conducive to daily driving.
Incorrect, the BRDM-2 is 94.8 inches wide, while california max width is 102 inches

General Rule. 35100. (a) The total outside width of any vehicle or its load shall not exceed 102 inches.

Notagerman

Is it old enough to qualify as a historic vehicle?

In many cases it exempts you from a hoard of regulations.
A car is considered a classic in California if it's at least 25 years old, was manufactured after 1922, and is of historic interest. When a vehicle in California meets these requirements, the owner can register it as a historic vehicle, which will allow the car to use special license plates.
The BRDM-2 that I’m buying likely is over 25 years old, as its 2022, and BRDMs haven’t been produced in decades.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple big mirrors, and closed-circuit video of blind spots would do.

Changing out the Russki motor & trans would give you a reliable ride.

Just leave it alone till registered historic, if you can.

I know there is other armor in Cal, road licensed. Ferrets, saracens, V-100, eTc.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The odds are not in your favor for putting it on the road in general but it's possible with a good fight. California is your least likely state to get approval baring Colorado which banned MVs for on-road use all together. The issue isn't its size or basic turn signals or etc.. emissions is a big deal in California antique or not.. but the most important issue is that the "cool factor" can very easily be misconceived as a threat. Your average person isn't a military aficionado nor are the po-po. It takes one person to call in "a tank" then you'll have a bad day. You may be 100% legal to drive and in the right to do so but if your vehicle causes a panic they can cite you if not more. You have to be proactive in this regard.

I want you to know where I'm coming from with this. I too have some various armored vehicles I'm proud of and Texas is very MV friendly but they draw some weird lines in the sand about "wheels vs tracks" and "weapons on display". There's a lot of gray area and contradiction in my state's laws I'm trying to get them to figure out. One of our members, wehring, had weapons drawn on him while filling up his Museum's M114 years ago. It's a strange world out there so evaluate everything before pulling the trigger.

Notagerman

The odds are not in your favor for putting it on the road in general but it's possible with a good fight. California is your least likely state to get approval baring Colorado which banned MVs for on-road use all together. The issue isn't its size or basic turn signals or etc.. emissions is a big deal in California antique or not.. but the most important issue is that the "cool factor" can very easily be misconceived as a threat. Your average person isn't a military aficionado nor are the po-po. It takes one person to call in "a tank" then you'll have a bad day. You may be 100% legal to drive and in the right to do so but if your vehicle causes a panic they can cite you if not more. You have to be proactive in this regard.

I want you to know where I'm coming from with this. I too have some various armored vehicles I'm proud of and Texas is very MV friendly but they draw some weird lines in the sand about "wheels vs tracks" and "weapons on display". There's a lot of gray area and contradiction in my state's laws I'm trying to get them to figure out. One of our members, wehring, had weapons drawn on him while filling up his Museum's M114 years ago. It's a strange world out there so evaluate everything before pulling the trigger.
I live a few miles away from downtown LA, police could be a problem, however if I handle it correctly, I can get out of those situations.
As for emissions, vehicles over 25 years old do not get emissions check, and can be registered as historic.

Notagerman

A couple big mirrors, and closed-circuit video of blind spots would do.

Changing out the Russki motor & trans would give you a reliable ride.

Just leave it alone till registered historic, if you can.

I know there is other armor in Cal, road licensed. Ferrets, saracens, V-100, eTc.
Good idea, I’ll implement it if I can actually get it street legal.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few years ago, a friend of mine in Oakland (A surplus dealer) started renting vehicles to movie companies.

He had a real tough time with 'retired' armored trucks like those used by Garda, Brinks, and the like.

Seems John Law didn't want any on the road as "We can't trust them not to try and heist a bank" or some such BS.

After getting it straightened out with some heavy pull from movie moguls, he went on to apply that decision to rubber-tired military armor.

You might try asking about that with the DMV.

Notagerman

A few years ago, a friend of mine in Oakland (A surplus dealer) started renting vehicles to movie companies.

He had a real tough time with 'retired' armored trucks like those used by Garda, Brinks, and the like.

Seems John Law didn't want any on the road as "We can't trust them not to try and heist a bank" or some such BS.

After getting it straightened out with some heavy pull from movie moguls, he went on to apply that decision to rubber-tired military armor.

You might try asking about that with the DMV.
DMV told me that its a tank, and that tanks can’t be registered in California.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if you can ask on SS if any armor guys in Cal have some advice how it was done.

I've seen similar rides at MV rallys, not all were trailered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks