• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

broke bottom bolt on radiator

jsthnt@gmail.com

The lower radiator hose rotted out and needed to be changed. So logically the easiest way is to pull the radiator. (I needed to do some things that the radiator being out would make it easier) As I tried to remove the radiator I got one of the bolts started but it turned hard, so I tried the other one and it broke right away. Went back to the other one and the nut gets right to the end and the stud unscrewed from the radiator. So what are my options. I think I am going to have to weld on a new bolt. I do not think that the radiator on this truck had ever been off by the look of the bolts. I will try to take pics tomorrow.

59apache

Chipmaker
I've repaired mine lately. I've cut the steel bar at the edge, drilled 2 holes with big chamfers in a new one, and welded the old studs (also with big chamfers) from the rear. If you need new bolts, don't take screws. Screws tend to embrittle if you weld them. Studs made of mild steel would be better.

You can weld the bar at the edges without problems. Again with big chamfers...

Greets Juergen

Diecorpse

Seriously now, you welding it, or you takin it somewhere to be welded? If you need a hand, I don't go into work until 4pm. Shoot me a text or call me, otherwise I can help ya on Monday but I'm sure you want your truck goin before then. I would say you can borrow mine, but I would like to drive mine!! Lol. I see you got your air compressor pulley to finally move, was it still hard to turn after you heated it? I should be up around noon or so, so don't hesitate to give me holler if need help, geez. Also I found some mud to play in, so my truck looks, well. . . like it should. All dirty!! Lol. :)

Last edited:

jsthnt@gmail.com

A friend of mine was going to bring his welder over and weld on a few bolts that i cut the tops off, but I got tiered of waiting so I just used the duct tap method. It seems to be holding so far. Just kidding welded the bolts on in the driveway and put it back together. While the radiator was out i was able to adjust the lash cylender 4 and 5 were way out of adjustment. They had no play at all. I also replaced the compresor belt. When I went to drop off the tools that General Granite was shooting embers out of the stack again. Does anyone know what causes this? I have an idea but am not sure.

Diecorpse

Soot bulid up or unburnt fuel in the exhaust probly. Any cool flames shoot out? Or it could be deposits from the crud that was in your fuel tank finally burn through the exhaust.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks