• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

broken air-o-matic

rizzo

my drag link is leaking out the vent hole. I have power turning to the left, but when turning to the right air comes out of the rear vent hole, and no power? Anyone have a tm or any other info I may need to repair this?

Nonotagain

my drag link is leaking out the vent hole. I have power turning to the left, but when turning to the right air comes out of the rear vent hole, and no power? Anyone have a tm or any other info I may need to repair this?
Try these TM's.
TM 9-2320-386-10
TM 9-2320-386-24P

They're for the M35a3 series truck.

OldGoat

Does the air o matic let release air (make a air noise ) when you steer it or are the completely quiet like a regular power steering unit?

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two kits as well on trucks that don't seem to be working either, I'll check those TM's but is there a common problem (quick fix) with these that make them stop working?

saddamsnightmare

April 18th, 2010.

Old goat:

Air-o-Matics always vent from the actuating cylinder when the wheels are returned to center from either direction. Likely the malfunctions you guys are having are minor, perhaps too much grease has gotten in somewhere it ought not to have, but as Air o Matics are still manufactured so you should be able to quiry the manufacturer. Being as simple as they are, the fix should be relatively easy.

Check the special kits and parts manual mentioned above for the M35A2 (-20 & -24P). :!:One wonders if an additional pair or air reservoirs cut into the system in duplex might not do something for the Air o Matic's insatiable need for air in low speed maneuvering?

Good luck,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

rizzo

here is an e-mail from M-35 products that explains the most likely problem and how to test it.

There are two simple tests to determine the problem. If you do the first one, described below, you probably will figure out the problem.

The system has two major parts, the torque valve (in the drag link) and the power cylinder (the big thing that looks like a hydraulic cylinder, on the tie-rod).

The power cylinder has a rubber-edged "piston cup" inside. When the piston cup rubber edge gets old and crumbles, it can by-pass air, which returns to the torque valve, and then out to the atmosphere. It is not unusual to have it fail in one direction only, causing the symptom you describe.

To test the power cylinder, remove the two air lines that go to the cylinder, at the point where they are connected to the torque valve. With the truck engine turned OFF, parked, in gear and chocked, raise the front wheels off the ground an inch or two. CAREFULLY put some air (from the truck air supply or the shop supply) into one of the two hoses going to the power cylinder. Listen for air coming back at you in the opposite hose. Then reverse the procedure, putting air into the other hose, listening to the opposite hose. Be careful, as the wheels will try to move left and right.

If you hear air coming back at you, the piston cup is worn and must be replaced. It costs $100 including shipping. It is pretty easy to replace. We will need to know if the diameter of the piston is 4" or 5". The standard size is 5".

Let me know what model truck you have, and how you make out doing this test, then give me a call on my toll-free number 866 - 749 - 0100 if you have any more questions.

Arthur P. Bloom, VP /Military

Inter Agency Motor Pool

Welder Sam

I havent figured out what in the heck is wrong with mine. I cant tell its there except for the release of air. Regulator went bad or was bad from the start. Replaced the regulator with a unit that has a gauge and tuned it to 45-50psi as prescribed in the m35a3 20-1. Still cant tell its there. Wonder if a bfh would do anything..
:deadhorse:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I havent figured out what in the heck is wrong with mine. I cant tell its there except for the release of air. Regulator went bad or was bad from the start. Replaced the regulator with a unit that has a gauge and tuned it to 45-50psi as prescribed in the m35a3 20-1. Still cant tell its there. Wonder if a bfh would do anything..
:deadhorse:
Throw that regulator away! Let it have the 100-120psi that the air system should build.

Welder Sam

Makes the da**edest racket when its wfo. No change other than the volume. May attempt some more oil in the lines and work it some more while dangling from the boom. If it pisses me off much more, it may all go in the creek!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I might want some parts if it is to go to Davey-Jones locker! (I need the air-ram mount)

Have you taken the "air in" line off the steering drag link, and poured some air tool oil in there? It should help seal and lube the "controller" so it works better. If that doesn't work, some have had issues with the piston seal in the air-ram itself.

Welder Sam

If it deep 6's, itll be done so quick itll make your head spin. Well.. at or below 50mph at least..

I oiled it befote i ever put the hoses on. The kit doesnt have 25-30 miles on it. Im quite perturbed at this crap atm. Got a200mi round trip with the camper coming up in 2 weeks. Once i get on the farm, itll be tight quarters. On the upside, it should be real soft ground! Backing up the camper isnt bad with the wrecker but it sucks with the 1 remaining deuce and manual steering! If i take the mule too, at least i wont have to walk out! Could be a new dam in the east bayou tho!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks