• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken bolt of my CUCV M1009 please help identify where it came from!

Steel Hunter

I need help identifying a broken bolt off my CUCV M1009. I found today in the driveway today. I closed the door after returning from work and I heard it hit the ground. Can’t seem to figure where it came from, I looked everywhere. It has the letter I and 9.8 stamped on it. See attached photos

Attachments

87cr250r

It's an easy fix. This is one of the situations where an EZ Out is supposed to be used. Drill a hole in the middle of the bolt and use the EZ Out to unscrew the remains.

As for a starter, if you can get your hands on a real Delco-Remy 28MT, new or reman by a trusted supplier, that would be your best bet. If you see a good deal on a SAE mount starter you can swap out the nose cone for the pad mount GM style. My local starter shop just charged me $14 for a new nose cone.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's an easy fix. This is one of the situations where an EZ Out is supposed to be used. Drill a hole in the middle of the bolt and use the EZ Out to unscrew the remains.

As for a starter, if you can get your hands on a real Delco-Remy 28MT, new or reman by a trusted supplier, that would be your best bet. If you see a good deal on a SAE mount starter you can swap out the nose cone for the pad mount GM style. My local starter shop just charged me $14 for a new nose cone.
Lots of good advice here! Also be sure to use the starter tail support if using the big direct drive starter. It will break bolts again quickly without it, at least from my experience on gas engines.

I have had to do the ez-out process on a gas big block before and it was aggravating to get the drill bit centered up. I made a jig out of part of the old bolt to keep the drill bit straight. Helped tremendously with preventing damaged threads.

Steel Hunter

Thanks you for the info, I’m going to give it a go this weekend hopefully. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks