• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken inner budd nut

rustystud

Man that is a hard one ! Other then cutting it off and installing a new stud you could try using a large pipe wrench to loosen it.
First heat it up then use the pipe wrench. Your not going to get much swing on the wrench before it hits the hub but it might work. If this happened at any shop I have worked at, they would just cut it off with the torch and install a new stud.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If there is a AIRED UP tire on the rim be VERY careful about getting the rim hot, the heat WILL migrate to the air in the tire, causing the air to heat up and expand which in very short time cause a BIG bang, which by plan there is a very good chance you WILL die.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the inner wheel on a rear axle hub, so there is plenty access for common tools.

A small angle grinder or Dremel, equipped with a cut-off wheel is what I would use, trying to split it in halves: make a cut right through that "R" (without damaging the stud and/or wheel). Apply plenty of PB blaster inside and around the seat. Then use a hammer and chisel and give it a few good wacks. It should break loose enough to be able to remove it with a pipe wrench.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to get the truck up on stands today and remove the wheels. Then take a crack at removing the broken budd nut. Will try gringeltaube’s suggestion first as I have all of those tools and it may save the stud.
‘Thank you everyone for the insight.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That tool i showed is 30 dollars and allows you to use a rachet or air gun to take them off i used them for years with no damaged studs to replace
What web page did that come from. May just buy one if I don’t get it off today.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tell you what South East buy it use it and I will buy it from you. You just pay shipping to me. Yea what do you do if someone is on the road and this happens with a inner flat. Seems like no matter what your going to pull the hub, repack the bearing and replace the inner seal and the stud to be correct. That's if you damage the stud. Yea you could run without that stud if you were on the road but I much rather have the correct tool and carry it in truck. I am glad this thread came up as no matter what I will buy one.

Last edited:

davidhdale

Save money on auto and automotive tools at Tool Discounter
Great Prices Spring Deals Cyber Deals

Tooldiscounter.com

Ken-Tool 30649 - Heavy-Duty Wheel Stud Remover Set
Heavy-Duty Wheel Stud Remover Set
Inner budd nut and wheel stud removal set
Removes damaged wheel studs and inner budd nuts
Internal tapered reverse threads lock onto damaged stud or nut and easily pulls off using impact wrench
Wheel stud removers are 3/4 inch hex drive
Budd nut removers are 1-1/8 inch hex drive
Impact Socket Sizes:
30649-01: 5/8 inch socket
30649-02: 3/4 inch socket
30649-03: Budd wheel inner nut LH
30649-04: Budd wheel inner nut RH
Manufacturer: Ken-Tool Our Part No: 30649
Email this item to a Friend
Qty
Ken-Tool 30649
Browse other items from

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I managed to get the nut removed with a whiz wheel chisel and hammer without damaging the threads . All stuff I had on hand.

I do plan to order one of nut remover tools. From what I read they have a limited number of uses but will be good to have in the truck .

thanks for the help

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well looks like you got it so I just ordered mine. Looks a little different and says it is limited use 4 to 10 times depending on abuse. I just need it to work once and it paid for it's self in no head ache. It was 54 bucks shipped and I much rather spend 54 bucks than to pull a hub or be stuck on the road. Though I do carry a fire wrench and cut off wheel tool but that's the joy of pulling a large tool box trailer / camper. Seems like a good truck tire shop would have one on hand or any good road side tire truck should have one just incase. So much less trouble.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve had that happen several times. I took an outer Budd nut and threaded it onto the broken thimble, then arc-welded them together. Let them cool to the touch, and then they come right off. The heat from welding expands the metal & breaks the rust bond; when it cools it will shrink enough to be removed by an impact wrench.

Since you’re supposed to replace the nuts & thimbles regularly anyway, it’s not that expensive of a fix.

rustystud

They make a tool that you drive on with a hammer and to grabs it and takes it off you can get at any truck parts store i bought one from napa a few years back .View attachment 732421
I've used those removers before. The problem is the stud is usually rusted in tight. That is why the nut broke in the first place. Now your trying to remove the rest of the jacked up nut with a tool that can slip around the nut. Sometimes it will work, but most times it will not. I have had some good experiences with this type of tool if I heat the old nut first and then hammer on the remover tool. Either way just be prepared to have to get knarly on that old nut.
Also remember to use "Anti-Seize" on the stud threads so this doesn't happen again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks