• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buck converter to step 24v down to 12v to run LED headlights?

Silver88

Hi all, I'm new here and I'm also the proud new owner of a 1955 M38A1 with the 24v generator still intact. I'd like to keep the 24v system but the headlights leave something to be desired. I've heard the H2064 halogens are brighter than the old headlights and have the same type of connector and fit but they run on 12V. I'm considering upgrading to DOT approved LED headlights that are replacements for the H2064's and do not want to switch the whole system over to 12v. I was wondering if i could just get a 24v-12v buck converter to run the LED lights off of so that i could still keep the 24v system and it'd be easy to swap back to the original lights if I wanted to. Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Obviously the buck converter would have to be rated to handle the amperage the lights demand which is why halogens probably wouldn't work with this method. If anyone has any experience with doing this or has any thoughts/concerns please feel free to let me know. I really don't plan on doing much night driving but if I get stuck somewhere longer than i planned or something I want to be sure I can see and be seen. I hope this is posted in the right area, I searched the forum first and didn't find what I was looking for regarding the M38A1's 24v system . Looking forward to hearing back on this. Thanks.

Last edited:

papakb

This is the time of the LED. Almost anything you can find out there will run from 10-30v so no converter / voltage dropper / regulators are necessary for them. I installed Truck Lites in mine a year or so ago and couldn't be happier with them or their light pattern. Be cautious with cheap Chinese LEDs. While they may be attractive because of their cost they usually don't last or have terrible light patterns with hot spots in the wrong locations.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
some led headlights in the classifieds right now.

I have older trucklites in my 5 ton and speaker in the hmmwv. Very happy and fit the OE buckets with no problems

Silver88

Thanks everyone for the info. I've been busy in the garage for the past 2 weeks trying to work out all the kinks with the new jeep (you know all the little things that pop up that need to be fixed or arent right etc. ) :rolleyes: and trying to get the existing lighting functioning before making any mods to it. Turns out half the lights didn't work because the previous owner put 12v bulbs in and they blew almost immediately - he told me he "couldn't figure out what was wrong with the lighting" lol..I figured that out pretty quick. So now that I have all the lights working the way they should I'm going to possibly continue persuing the headlight upgrade. side note: my carburetor is apparently parts from two different model carbs mish-mashed together to work "good enough" but she's not running quite right yet...more fun!

TheQuaker

I agree with the others that LED's are the way to go if you want to see in the dark and to be seen at all hours.

Ebay cheapie LED's on my 5-ton. 12v/24v. Fit and work perfect, great light pattern when aimed properly, very bright:
IMG_5087.JPGIMG_5725.JPG

Amazon not-so cheapies on my Deuce. 12v/24v. Fit and work perfect, great light pattern when aimed properly, ridiculously bright hi-beams!:
IMG_5920.JPGIMG_5937.JPG

Lots of different styles/designs/prices. Just pick the style/look you want for your M38.

IMO...Just make sure to get lights that have a "deep" finned back section to deal with the heat. The heat dissipation (generally equals longer life) as well as the overall quality of the lights on the "deep" backed ones seem to be much better as opposed to the "shallow" or flat-backed ones, at least in the case of the Chinese LED's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks