• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 CAT/Allison conversion

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been researching the '715 for two years now. So I have a good feel for what could be improved ; this is the wish list I compiled from M715 owners:

• The Tornado engine is interesting....but a diesel would be the cat's meow, CAT 3116
  • The D60 front is obsolete and has D44-like knuckles so that is a weakness. MERITOR RF_611
  • Because of the low gearing, bigger tires would be great, but there is the issue of firewall clearance etc. Reposition the cab aft on the chassis to clear larger tires MICHELIN 14.00R20. 49" radials
  • The '70 rearend is obsolete. A popular mod is to swap to CUCV pickup axles for the D60/14BFF. MERITOR RS_611
  • The manual gearbox is OK.....ALLISON 7 spd auto
  • The wheels are wierd. 20" LMTV steelies
  • The brakes could be bigger. LMTV drums/air brakes
So, anyway, attached is a pic of the "new" M715, (my 6th MV) , an eary winch truck, with the donor chassis in the background that cure many of the ills. No guts no glory...715_1.jpg

Last edited:

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About 25 years ago, a friend of mine put a BBC/TH400 in his 715, along with deuce axles & 14.00-20 rubber.

He did a great job of modding the fenders to handle the tires.

I sold him my only two Rockwell drop-ins in 5.22:1 ratio. Came out of a M35A3 prototype test truck.

Another neat truck from my past where I have no clue where it is today. Drat...

DG

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About 25 years ago, a friend of mine put a BBC/TH400 in his 715, along with deuce axles & 14.00-20 rubber.

He did a great job of modding the fenders to handle the tires.

I sold him my only two Rockwell drop-ins in 5.22:1 ratio. Came out of a M35A3 prototype test truck.

Another neat ruck from my past where I have no clue where it is today. Drat...

DG
This truck has a final ratio of 7.80:1. Moves the 14.00 Michelins pretty well ;)

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, my buddy Paul, asks," what are you going to do about paint? " I say I don't know, as it is not a restoration. " Scotchbrite and clearcoat then is what I suggest." Really?? You mean like scrub pots and pans scotchbrite? "Yes.".
Ok, here is the passenger door before and after:

Screenshot_20221030-160857_Gallery.jpg20221030_150633.jpg

Amaaaazing.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Olly,

What did you do for TM's? There are none in the Forum TM section. Do you have digital copies? Care to share with the forum? This is a big hole in the TM forum.

Guy

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Olly,

What did you do for TM's? There are none in the Forum TM section. Do you have digital copies? Care to share with the forum? This is a big hole in the TM forum.

Guy
So far I am getting along with the M1078 TMs. I am retaining all of the LMTV pneumatic braking system, CTIS, and engine electrical stuff. For the Gladiator stuff, I look at the 30 or so in various stages of disassembly at my disposal to see how stuff goes together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks