• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bulbs, 12 volt, 24 volt, trailer, lights, info

jamesfrom180

OK I hope this thread will help those out there fabricating using military parts. Restoration information and know how is available in multiple places. Please if you wish to contribute:

Keep it short
Only to specification
Or techniques

I hope to keep this thread relevant to specifications and techniques only.
I will ask any and all contributes to please keep comments down. Use build threads and such for that. This will have to be a community effort so if you are asked by me Jamesfrom180 (James H. Ares) to remove your post please do.

jamesfrom180

I am not a master at this, actually just starting in this wonderful hobby. So here is a Nod and a big thank you to some people who have the information and some patients.

This is information to help those with their trailers. Since this is the general electrical section this thread I hope will have more than just this. But here is where we start.

Jim1009
1157 (12 volt trailer bulb)

Therealsundance/Fudge0514
1156 (12 volt bulb) Direct replacement for military GE 623 or turn, brake light in tail lights

67 or 97 for running/tail light

Emmando22
Civi mil
wire color function circuit Pin Function

Green right turn/stop 22-460 PinJ Right/stop
Yellow left/stop 22-461 PinB Left/stop
Brown Tail/Marker/run 21 PinE Tail/Marker
White Ground 90 Pin D Ground

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/31824-civy-truck-mil-trailer-wiring-info.html

Ok, These people have all contributed greatly to this community. I hope the title wil propel this thread to something that is easy for people to find data/information using the search function. :beer:

jamesfrom180

I'm converting a set of tail lights and am trying a upgrade mentioned here. Using some silver gloss or metallic paint on the inside of the rear housing to increase the brightness of the tail lights as well as using lens restorer on both the external and internal sides of the lenses.

papakb

Absolutely the easiest way to forget all the issues relating to 12 volt or 24 volt bulbs is to simple invest a few dollars more and replace the lamps with LED lamps that will work over a 10 to 30 volt range. They're available for almost every socket configuration, single pin, dual pin, large globe and small globe. Here's a link to a company I've bought from that is easy to work with. You could also check around on eBay for sources but once installed you can connect to almost anything.

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=79

Kurt Lesser

papakb

Ledwholesalers

Try this one and then search 12/24 or 12-30v to find what you need. Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. The lamps used in the dash panels have 9s bases. This means they're 9mm in diameter with a single contact pin. The tail lamps are all 15S or 15D based lamps. S for single contact, D for double contact.

Kurt

www.LEDwholesalers.com

Last edited:

Big Dave

I'm hoping you guys can help with a problem I'm having. I'm building a military style teardrop camping trailer and am using the M35A2 tail lights. I was trying to figure out the 4 wires coming out of the back of the tails with a Dewalt 14v battery. I bought some 12v 1156 bulbs for the tails to replace the 24v lights. I can't get the top section to light at all. The reverse lights and blackouts light up fine. I have tried both lights and they both do the same thing. The insides of the lights are like new, no worn wires or anything. Is there something I'm missing, some trick to these lights? Eventually I will replace the bulbs with LEDs, I'm just trying to run the wires right now.

On a separate note does anyone know a place I can get new/good condition lenses at a decent price? Mine came straight from the desert and are kind of rough.

Thank You Sirs!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Each bulb(tail and brake) uses a seperate bolt for ground. In other words, you must ground both bolt holes for all the bulbs to function.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks