• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bummer!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, today I pulled all 8 tires off the back of the deuce tractoo only to find 3 of 4 had gear oil leaking from the drum. All 3 were broken down and received a thorough scouring. Drums also got the wash rack. The brake shoes were given 3 diferent showers with brakleen as well. Also sprayed out the drums with brakleen after the scrubbing. Put in all new outer seals and lockrings. All bearings repacked with GAA. I didn't change the inner seals as they looked perfect. Its all back together now and working great. Little over 7 hrs work. I have to say, the 1" impact will break the lugs free effortlessly bit it will also break your back effortlessly.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Kenny you sure are a guy who knows how to have fun. If I had 7 hours of free time I would do a thourough check on my vehicle wheels too. Still have to change out the brake cylinder on the M 52 rear axle soon I hope. The money is here to finish the payment and just waiting on my efforts to get it running and the title. It is much more of a bummer that none of the students or faculty at Virginia Tech were allowed to carry. One armed student or teacher could have stopped that murdering idiot... now that is a bummer we all need to pray for the families.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I'm at a loss of words with that massacre. Thats heartbreaking. My wife was pondering the kids going to college in this day and age. Another fine example of what happens when you kick God out of school.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, not too much of a bummer 'bout your seals, sounds like it went fast and smooth. The Va. shootings are truly a tragedy. Don't the campuses that are that large have some sort of security service? If there was a person chaining the doors from the outside, there had to have been someone that saw it. If only someone had thought to question it. The families of those affected are in our prayers.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cork Keyways? Why no, I didn't. I did use my little injector and gave it a squirt of higher grade silicone. This has worked well for me over the years. I keep that keyway meticulously clean on reassembly to insure the silicone works. Correct? No. Functional, absolutely.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good work on your tractor Kenny. I need that 1" impact real bad.

I'm sure the fires of Hades are burning a little brighter today with that murdering prick boiling in a lake of molten sulfer! :x

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Bummer!

Recovry4x4 said:
... a squirt of higher grade silicone. Correct? No. Functional, absolutely.
:ditto:

Guess what they would have used those days... if only they had silicone...!(and all sorts of loctite, PU-sealant, synt grease, etc.....!)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Bummer!

Be careful what you wish for on the 1" impact. That sucker is hell on a weak back. Knocks lugnuts right off though.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
I replaced one on mine a few weeks back. I rattled my self nuts with my 1/2 inch impact and assorted cheater bars. After calling "calf rope", I borrowed a 1 inch impact from my truck shop and knocked them right off. I would not try it without one. In fact, the 1 inch is now standard equipment for road trips on my rig.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yes it is. Lots of folks talk about leaving the outer seal off and just let the bearings soak in gear oil. Problem is the inner seal is designed to keep greas in and water ouit, not keep gear oil in. They will leak no matter what, just the design.

rizzo

is the best way to pack these bearings by hand?

I thought I had a leaking wheel cylinder but when I pulled it off all the seals were intact and everything looked clean on the inside. should be good huh?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I do pack my bearings by hand. I like to look through the rollers from the bottom to see when the grease comes through. As far as the silicone, I make sure the keyway is spotless clean and then wipe the inner part of the braing clean where it rides over the keyway. After that I squeeze some silicone in the keyway and try to force some under the bearing then install the outer seal. Works good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks