• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bunk Trailer for FRFS

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've started the process of getting my bunkhouse trailer built for the "First Responder Feeding System" (the official reason I have the green machine addiction).

First step was getting a stripped AN/MJQ-18 Power Plant (generators removed), taking the bows off and preparing the bed for a new top. Reason I chose this for a basis is the bottom is 123.5 inches long, over a foot longer than a standard 105 trailer bed. Since I'm lousy at welding (it's actually a lot worse than that, but this project is not one to be learning on), I contracted with Evans Steel Service, of West Columbia, SC to do the fabrication. They are who I buy all my steel from anyway, and they have had a little slack time between other jobs to work on it.
First pictures show the two inch square tubing frame being built, and the latter ones show the 16 ga steel wall panels being tacked into place. They should finish it next week and then my work can commence.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exterior will be primed, the painted flat 383 green, with the roof sealer on the top to reflect sunlight.

Next step will be to insulate the walls, ceiling and floor with 2 inch foam boards, get the electrical system planned (overhead light inside with a switch by the door, power outlet for the air conditioner and desk) and installed, cover the walls inside (masonite or paneling), and install the four bunk beds (two on each side, over the wheel wells, and fix a place for the boarding ladder to attach. Interior will probably be painted gloss white and if I get really carried away, lockers will be installed in the corners. More pics as I get these items accomplished.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Harley,
When it rolls as part of the FRFS, it will be behind the M36/S280 that has six bunks, and rolling with the two M109 Shop Vans converted to Pantry trucks, each pulling an MKT (one for cooking, the other for washing up), and a couple of deuces carrying tents, tables, chairs, wash stations, and other supplies, pulling a water trailer and a generator trailer. Why would I want to add a little cook stove?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roof vent, yes, windows, no. The door has a window on it to let some natural light in. Inside will be painted egg shell white, probably in semi-gloss to help make it bright. Reason for no windows is that most of the wall space will be taken up by the bunks, wall lockers, desk/vanity, door and A/C unit - not really a good place to put any windows left. With the FRFS, it will be primarily where up to four of the crew can get some rest when they are not doing food service on a two to four day mission. Once commercial food service has been restored to a disaster area, we'll be packing up and going home. It could get used going to rally's where I'm not cooking as a bunk house. That would leave the deuce bed as a place to put all the stuff we buy.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Putting a peak in the roof was going to increase the price by $1100, so I opted for a flat roof and a gallon of roof sealer.
Seriously? Wow. My little cheapo carport was only like $800 installed for the entire thing. That's crazy.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked the trailer up this afternoon and got the first coat of Rustoleum primer on the walls. Hole in the front is for the A/C. Weather permitting, it will get another coat tomorrow and then be allowed to 'cure' for three days before we get the Behr paint out. I'll also need a taller ladder to work on the roof - it's getting Cool-Seal.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the second coat of primer on this morning. Started patching the holes in the floor with undercoat. May pick up the two inch foam tomorrow and the Behr paint. Monday will be painting the outside and putting the Cool-Seal on the roof (weather permitting). Then the A/C and some of the insulation in the walls. Will post pictures when more gets done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks