• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buzzards Roost

Rhino 5/4

Although still in the title/registration process, we started tear out of the existing inside conditions on the M 109. We got to the green and plywood covering the old floor today. Hopefully I can get it dry and the rusted and rotted floor replaced before our camping trip the end of next month. Lots to do coming up. 20220820_162919.jpg20220820_162926.jpg

Attachments

Rhino 5/4

Floor almost all out today, was pretty much what I expected but floor joists seem to be in good shape. I procured a water tank off another truck at green acres. Going to have to replace a bung and clean inside and out but will work fine for non potable water. Thinking about going back with aluminum diamond plate after I clean the metal up, neutralize the rust and paint Be simple, easy to clean.20220821_130952.jpg20220821_135454.jpg20220821_155013.jpg20220821_155029.jpg20220821_155056.jpg20220821_155041.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sure wood be a good reserve fuel tank ! And dang if i wouldnt get a couple of sheets of ADVANTECH and spray either undercoating or bedliner on the bottom side and then mark your crossbeam location on both sidewalls and lay that floor with self tapping screws then if you want to lay checkerplate on top of that for interior floor and the advantech would kill heat and sound and i would locktite adhesive the checkerplate to the advantech with some counter sunk screws here and there maybe around seems in the uncovered areas .

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to use the existing six ceiling lights, I would suggest getting some high temp gloss white spray paint, take off the glass bezels, remove the bulb, block off the screw socket with some newspaper, and get a good coat on the reflector. That will give you almost twice as much light out of each one. Bulbs should be marked for 'high vibration/heavy duty' applications.

Rhino 5/4

If you are going to use the existing six ceiling lights, I would suggest getting some high temp gloss white spray paint, take off the glass bezels, remove the bulb, block off the screw socket with some newspaper, and get a good coat on the reflector. That will give you almost twice as much light out of each one. Bulbs should be marked for 'high vibration/heavy duty' applications.
Unforrtunatly the fixtures were removed when the Army converted it to a living quarter.

Rhino 5/4

Everything out to the framework. Now to clean up rust prime and paint. Roof is a mess with some cancer in and around the ribs and extending over the radius. Not sure if I want to try and re skin or cut in some patches and spray the crap out of it with bed liner and call it good. Gonna cut down and use these pallet skids for floor. Maybe put some rubber roof between the joist and floor and run it up the wall hoping to keep any moisture from seeping on top from the walls.20220827_175530.jpg20220827_175537.jpg20220827_175603.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Everything out to the framework. Now to clean up rust prime and paint. Roof is a mess with some cancer in and around the ribs and extending over the radius. Not sure if I want to try and re skin or cut in some patches and spray the crap out of it with bed liner and call it good. Gonna cut down and use these pallet skids for floor. Maybe put some rubber roof between the joist and floor and run it up the wall hoping to keep any moisture from seeping on top from the walls.View attachment 877487View attachment 877488View attachment 877489
Just food for thought... I know from experience that wanting something fixed and ready to use SOONER rather than LATER has made me do some not so smart stuff. If you don't do a solid and permanent fix on that roof, you will eventually be unhappy. Yeah, I know. It sucks. But if you halfast fix it - it will come back and bite you in the posterior. Might ruin everything below the roof that you repaired too.

Again, I know you don't want to hear that. We've all done it though. We've also paid for that mistake too...

:-(

Rhino 5/4

Just food for thought... I know from experience that wanting something fixed and ready to use SOONER rather than LATER has made me do some not so smart stuff. If you don't do a solid and permanent fix on that roof, you will eventually be unhappy. Yeah, I know. It sucks. But if you halfast fix it - it will come back and bite you in the posterior. Might ruin everything below the roof that you repaired too.

Again, I know you don't want to hear that. We've all done it though. We've also paid for that mistake too...

:-(
Yes I still have some rent houses and know all too well about the halfass and hurry up road. Never worked out well with me either. Good thing I got the ambulance and can go when I want in that, still serves us well.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I painted the tops of mt shop vans with white elastometric paint normally used to patch roofs. Three coats on it a couple of days apart. Stuff is supposed to last 10 years, been on there 8 so far with no leaks. YMMV.
I used the same stuff on the roof of a schoolbus build i did years ago and it is good stuff i never had any kind of roof leaks

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything out to the framework. Now to clean up rust prime and paint. Roof is a mess with some cancer in and around the ribs and extending over the radius. Not sure if I want to try and re skin or cut in some patches and spray the crap out of it with bed liner and call it good. Gonna cut down and use these pallet skids for floor. Maybe put some rubber roof between the joist and floor and run it up the wall hoping to keep any moisture from seeping on top from the walls.View attachment 877487View attachment 877488View attachment 877489
If you spray some of the rust eater they sale at walmart by the gallon then pick up a jug/kit of sprayfoam and spray the ceiling and walls it will really help stiffen up the the whole structure just watch some how to videos on youtube and before you do run some wire and some pex in the walls before you spray and you will never have a leak from the outdoor weather plus insulate your box and eliminate sweating in the box .

Rhino 5/4

Not, I was going to take it to one of my guys house so he can start cutting rivets off today and brakes are out on it. I think Im going to flat tow it over tomorrow and pull the air pack next week while he is working on it. Acting like there is some blockage in the cylinder. been playing hookie on my project and need to get with the program .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks