• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"C" means what?

FrankUSMC

Ok, I am mainly for the past 30 been a WWII vehicle collector. I do have a couple of the M35A2 trucks now. Here is my question, I just went and looked at a M50A2C fuel tanker. I remember the M50A2 trucks while in the Marines, but what does the "C" stand for?
Thanks.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

jamawieb

I'm not sure on the M50 but the M35A2C is for the dropside beds. The C designates that it's a dropside for the M35.

FrankUSMC

Sorry about that, I go the two mixed up. While in the Marines I had the license to drive the M50A2, so I had M50 on the brain. We used it as a tent city fire truck. The truck I went and saw today was the fuel truck, a M49A2C.
The truck has the fuel tank on the back and no drop sides.
So, back to, what does the "C" stand for?
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

zout

Frank - not trying to be just throwing thing in here as I am just taking some logical stabs at this - Is the tank a 1,000 gallon ? (C)

FrankUSMC

I was told by one of the fire fighters he thought the tank was 1200 gallons. He was told because it was a fuel tanker at one time, not to fill the tank all the way up because fuel is lighter than water, and they did not want to over load the truck.
PS, as the out side of the truck was repainted red, inside the cab was not and it still had the warnings about no smoking with in 50 feet on the doors.

FrankUSMC

Thank you Porkchop!
I am going to place a bid tomorrow on the truck. The biggest thing missing is the pump for the tank. The fire department would use gravity discharge to empty the tank.
Thanks again.

FrankUSMC

When you stopped by you only saw "some" of the collection! I own another place down the road. Did I have the WWII cannon, the 1944 BSA motorcycle, WC52, CJ2A, and the modified M37? These are the items I have added in the last few years to the collection.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We visited the spot down the road as I was considering trying to buy one of those as a project, but didn't. Of course that was probably 2-3 years ago now...

But no, not the new stuff... really want to see the BSA.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks