• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab latch does not lock

Plasa

Hello forum.
Finally I got my M1078 from the dealer and starting the RV conversion. But for first I have a problem with the cab latch. The hydraulic latch is working well (tried it with cab fully raised, it engages and locks the hook), but when I lower the cab the pin would not go in and block the hook.
image.php.jpgcab_latch.jpg
I attach 2 pictures, for me seems that the upper and lower part are not straight mounted and the cab did not go down or straight enough to engage the lock. On the manual I see that there are 2 spacers, I think they are installed. Can I remove them, even if I have my truck is < 7167? Are the latch brackets all the same? 3th screw is missing, so something was done before...

Thanks and kindest regards from Italy! And sorry for my english...:roll:

Christian

Plasa

Hello Suprman.
Thank you for your reply. I will try to dismiss the spacers under the 2 lower screws, also for me seems misaligned...
Have someone a picture of a correct aligned bracket?

Thanks a lot!
Christian
The bracket on the cab looks a bit mis aligned.

Ronmar

Go look at this video on youtube. He shows a good sideangle of the latch and hook. In the vid you can see spacers between the upper hookplate bolts and the back of the cab. Dont think yours is installed correctly...

https://youtu.be/-a0JqnptYgA

He had the cab air suspension system mistaken for the cab tilt system, but it is a good view of the catch...

Plasa

Hello Ronmar!
Thank you for your reply. Yes, there are spacers between the upper hookplate. Now I need to figure out if it's better dismiss the lower spacers or add some upper spacers too!

Many thanks, it helped me a lot!

Christian

Go look at this video on youtube. He shows a good sideangle of the latch and hook. In the vid you can see spacers between the upper hookplate bolts and the back of the cab. Dont think yours is installed correctly...

https://youtu.be/-a0JqnptYgA

He had the cab air suspension system mistaken for the cab tilt system, but it is a good view of the catch...

Ronmar

I just looked at your pictures again and you have NO spacers behind the upper edge of the hook plate(between top,edge of plate and cab). Your plate appears flush against the cab. In the video you can clearly see the gap(1/4”-3/8”?) formed by the spacers between hookplate and cab.

The horizontal plate on the hook should set down flush on top of the latch assembly(like seen in the video). Your horizontal plate is tilted up significantly. You said you have spacers behind the lower edge/bolts on the hookplate? I would suggest you move those spacers from the bottom To the top of the hookplate. This would rotate the horizontal hook plate in the right direction to hopefully align it with the top of the latch assy...

Plasa

OK, I will try and let you know...
Thank you very much!

Christian

I just looked at your pictures again and you have NO spacers behind the upper edge of the hook plate(between top,edge of plate and cab). Your plate appears flush against the cab. In the video you can clearly see the gap(1/4”-3/8”?) formed by the spacers between hookplate and cab.

The horizontal plate on the hook should set down flush on top of the latch assembly(like seen in the video). Your horizontal plate is tilted up significantly. You said you have spacers behind the lower edge/bolts on the hookplate? I would suggest you move those spacers from the bottom To the top of the hookplate. This would rotate the horizontal hook plate in the right direction to hopefully align it with the top of the latch assy...

coachgeo

NOTE----- there may be a reason the last military mechanic left it this way.... Others in here have noted that "on occasion" things are left odd... or unfinished as a way to call attention to the idea that; issues may exist deeper beyond that point. Thus suggest as you fix this investigate closely further beyond it to see if that may be your case.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My latch is the same way. I'm not saying it's "right", but it's the same. It will not latch when I put the cab down, or rock the cab, but if I drive it even just down the block a little bit the jostling will wiggle it enough to latch.

coachgeo

My latch is the same way. I'm not saying it's "right", but it's the same. It will not latch when I put the cab down, or rock the cab, but if I drive it even just down the block a little bit the jostling will wiggle it enough to latch.
good point..... though don't recall cab side alignment being like this or not..... but do reach now carefully reach in and tilt the chassis attached hinged unit to align with cab unit as I lower the cab. I probably should weld a handle on it for this purpose so am not reaching in there in potential harms way.

Plasa

Hello again.
I solved the problem switching the lower spacer to the upper screws, plus adding other spacers. Now it's straight and the lock goes in a little bit more, about 3mm... Lower locker need also to be adjusted because cab was not entering correctly!
Thanks a lot for helping me!

Christian

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks