• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camping Information

Wick246

Thanks Longhunter...

In their rules it states all vehicles must have a roll bar installed. Obviously 4 wheelers won't have one though - how would this effect the military vehicles?

Longhunter7

Well, I just talked to the folks at Badlands on the phone, and it looks like this isn't going to work! [:(!] :skull:

If you have a soft top, you have to have a roll bar!

This will elliminate this park for consideration! :skull:

It sure sounded like a good place, but with Military vehicles, it just won't work! :devil:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, doesn't look good.

Here's the rules for trucks and Jeeps:
# 15 MPH limit.
# Seat Belts required!
# Roll bar protection for ALL occupants in vehicle
# NO back seat passengers allowed without above
# Straps required for the safety of the trees
# Winch & Lockers required for trails level 3-5
# Anyone caught cutting down or removing trees will pay for the replacement of same size tree!
# Flags required to be 2 feet above cab of vehicles
# * Recovery is available at most times --- (there is a fee)

Here's a big one for the rest of the park:
*** NO ALCOHOL ***
Allowed on the property!
All Vehicles are subject to search.

I don't condone DUI even off-road, but I do like to have a couple of brews when I am camping and stuff.

Looks like a great off-road park, but Haspin still looks a little better right now for all types of vehicles. I noticed the thing about the lockers and winch too.

Longhunter7

Wick246,

I did see the rule about roll bars, but in the FAQ's it says you don't need a roll bar if you have the original "cab" on a truck!

That's why I called them for a clarification! It has to be a HARD cab, not a soft cab!

Oh well, we can always go back to Haspin, they didn't seem to care about roll bars, and they have some great trails!

That is why we are already working on our next rally! It takes a lot of planning and research to make it a quality event! [thumbzup]

liljohn

I certainly wouldn't mind going back to Haspin! I know there are probably more trails we can hit. Maybe we can talk them into letting us use the drag strip, too..... deuce drag races, anyone? :devil: :devil:

And next year we'll know where the better camping spots are, too.

Longhunter7

lilJohn,

The main issues with Haspin were the wong time of year and no supervision at night, so campers can sleep!

If we get this moved to the Fall, and find better campsites, it will be a good place to go back to! [thumbzup]

Hopefully both our rigs will be done for the next rally! :roll:

liljohn

Wick246 said:
Someone on this forum probably has some towable artillery that would put an end to the night time disturbances... :smilewinkgrin:
My thoughts exactly. We come armed heavily enough next year, we'll be fine.

We need someone with a ring mount and a ma deuce to show up next year, all we'll have to do is fire up the truck and cruise on over to the troublemakers, if they don't shut up then.....

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds good to me... As you know, I wasn't happy with some of our neighbors. Need to get them to close off a back area for us. I also need a quieter generator!
Dennis

Last edited:

liljohn

I think if we head back to that area we found on Saturday when we took the Jeep for a spin we should be fine. It was back far enough that nobody really bothers -they do what we did and stop at the first place they see!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The only advantage I see to staying up close is that you can have your tow rig close buy with all your tools. That way I wouldn't have to catch a ride out to my truck to get tools to work on something. I would also worry about people carrying off stuff if left out in the boonies vs. close to the main road where lots of people can see what they are doing. Other than that, there were plenty of out of the way spots that would be much quieter.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Y'all ever heard those propane fired 50 cals? Bruce Kalin was playing with his on his deuce and Pat Lombardi had the one on his track firing for while at Aberdeen. Those suckers are intimidating!

fredrader

It wouldn't be a problem driving your tow rig around the main trail to a suitable spot to camp..There are LOTS of great spots just off the trail.. [thumbzup]

Liljohn,The drag strip is open to anyone who wants to use it..(Self Service)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The driving time to and from are important. Regional events are the way to go. 400 miles each way is just too much for a camp-out. I-77 through West Virginia is also slow going. I'm looking at the Uwharrie in North Carolina right now, it's only 2-3 hours away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks