• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can a muffler be put on a MEP-003A ?

Uloadit

Picked up my gen and just got back .My first question is can i put a muffler on this and will it do any damage to it?.I want to run one pipe to the other like a exaust manfold and make a bracket to hold the muffler up and blow the exhaust away

jbk

i wouldnt put more mufflers on, it has them already and adding another might cause back preasure problems. i plumbed mine a couple of ways to get it out of my face. first photo straight up has rain caps not in the photo, i like this way best exhaust noise goes straight up, but wont work if you have a covered trailer as in the next photos. you dont wont to get to much weight out there as it will act like a large tunning fork.

Attachments

Last edited:

Carl_in_NH

Muffler will not do much to reduce noise if that's what you're after; much of the noise is from other sources on these gensets. Search is your friend, as this subject has been covered quite a bit.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used regular exhaust pipe to collect the stuff & direct it out from under the tarp (I keep it stored inside with the tarp on). That alone, quieted it some. There is just a lot of plain engine noise, that I doubt another muffler would cure. Also, I would be apprehensive about hanging a muffler on the maniflod alone, without good support, for fear that vibration would shake it apart. Pipe fittings are heavy too.

Attachments

Uloadit

I used regular exhaust pipe to collect the stuff & direct it out from under the tarp (I keep it stored inside with the tarp on). That alone, quieted it some. There is just a lot of plain engine noise, that I doubt another muffler would cure. Also, I would be apprehensive about hanging a muffler on the maniflod alone, without good support, for fear that vibration would shake it apart. Pipe fittings are heavy too.

Nice work how did you make the flange fit the pipe thread

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right on the welding part. I just cut out the bolt-on flanges, and welded them to the pipe fittings. The 90 degree ell's came from Napa. I didn't want any stress on the engine's manifold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks