• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can the Master Cylinder handle 50psi? (And brake flush related questions)

Loco_Hosa

My truck currently sits with 6 rebuilt wheel cylinders, the lines disconnected.

I assembled a pressure style bleeder using some tools for painting, including a stainless steel pressure pot that I have hooked up to my compressor. I then had a hose made to go from the pressure pot to the MC.

I want to get all of the old nasty fluid out before adding clean brand new fluid, without flushing the debris into the new wheel cylinders. Is there a specific chemical ya'll would recommend, or just flush with air?

Also, when the system is bled, I would like to check the brake system for leaks by pressurizing the MC. My pressure pot and line are both rated up to at least 50psi, but I want to make sure that is not going to be too much for the MC.

Thoughts and input are welcome. :)

Barrman

Alcohal is a good flush medium.

as stated, you only need about 5 psi to push stuff through. Sure, you can crank it up to 50 psi, but why spray yourself and the under side of the truck?

Loco_Hosa

I wasnt sure if Alcohol would be harmful to the rubber components, which is why I asked. Thanks for the rapid reply!

I wasnt clear with the 50psi question. I am going to bleed them at about 5psi, then after I have bled them, I want to seal everything up, crank it up to 50ish, and check to make sure that their are no leaks.

Loco_Hosa

Sure, let me completely restate the question.

After having a wheel cylinder fail me, I am concerned about another brake part failure. I have visually inspected the truck and I see no damaged or worn hoses. Could I father ensure safety by pressure testing the brake system, therefore ensuring that under pressure it will not fail again?

This would be after the brakes are reassembled and bled, I would slowly turn the pressure up to verify that the parts will not fail while applying heavy brake pressure in the future. This would be done before the test drive. Maybe unnecessary, but I would rather have the truck fail in the driveway than going around the block.

My concern, is that the top reservoir of the master cylinder is designed to be vented during normal operation, the pressure being built up in the airpack, lines, and wheel cylinders. Can the reservoir handle the 50psi to test the rest of the system? Or will this harm the MC?

Im sorry I wasnt clear, thank you for the helpful replies.

welldigger

In a properly functioning brake system 50psi is meaningless. The airpak when fully functional ramps the line pressure upwards of 2000psi. The master cylinder alone can generate several hundred by itself when you push the pedal. Bleed your brakes and stop on the pedal a few times good and hard. That is a way tougher test than pressurizing that an air pot.

Loco_Hosa

In a properly functioning brake system 50psi is meaningless. The airpak when fully functional ramps the line pressure upwards of 2000psi. The master cylinder alone can generate several hundred by itself when you push the pedal. Bleed your brakes and stop on the pedal a few times good and hard. That is a way tougher test than pressurizing that an air pot.
Thats far more than I realized! Thanks for clearing this up for me. I knew 50psi wasnt as much as the line pressure in the brakes, but I didnt realize that the operational preasure was that much. Thanks for explaining.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks