• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian Deuce Availability ???

Numbers

Ran across this while looking for Deuce paint schemes. I do not know if this means there will be Canadian Deuce's available for sale here or not. Someone further North would be in a better place to inform.

defence.professionals | defpro.com

Navistar's MilCOTS -Militarized Commercial Off-the-Shelf vehicles)
The logistics backbone of the army - Armour-protected trucks for service abroad still needed
08:12 GMT, January 12, 2009 The Canadian Armed Forces has awarded a $ 230 million (€171 million / C$274-million) contract to Illinois-based Navistar Defence LLC to build 1,300 trucks to be used at military bases across the country. The new robust medium-sized logistic trucks, called MilCOTS, are civilian vehicles outfitted for military use, Defence Minister Peter MacKay said Friday to The Canadian Press.

Attachments

brianrbull

The Afghan Army has a LOT of these trucks.....I have seen the M-35's we gave them a few years ago...I WILL NOT post pics of how they look now.....(WAY too Graphic for young viewers) They run the Batteries dead then use another truck to push start (Well more like ram start) Makes me sick.
These IHC Trucks are sweet. built in tow bar....I will get some pics of them and post.

m109guy

Of course these would not be for sale in the US. You can't buy a brand new M35 in the US. You have to wait until the government sends them out for surplus.

If you are looking for a Canadian MLVW (M35), just come up to Canada and buy a surplus MLVW and bring it back down to the US. I have two in the yard here. Unlike the US government, we don't see our good neighbors as possible terrorists and don't care that you are buying a 25+year old absolute army truck.

You can buy them here: http://www.prefair.ca/products/?id=3312&s=432

These new trucks are a stop-gap measure for replacement of the MLVW's (Canadian M35's). The Canadian government still hasn't found a proper replacement for the MLVW's so they are getting these built in the mean time. As stated, they will only be for domestic use by the Canadian military in Canada as they are no good for use overseas in combat areas.

Last edited:

Numbers

m109guy, thanks for the web link. Sure would like to those tires and rims. What was the standard transmission that are on those M-35s?

m109guy

m109guy, thanks for the web link. Sure would like to those tires and rims. What was the standard transmission that are on those M-35s?
They are nice rims/tires. I have installed them on my US M109 & M35. And you can't beat the $275 price they are selling at surplus for the tire and rim with a 90-95% tread.

The transmission is an
Allison Automatic MT-643. Works really well with the combination power steering and 1,500 other upgrades over the US M35.

Numbers

Your website had alot of cool mods done to your 109. I especially like the bit about Zombie guts. Did you ever complete the generator mod?

When you took off your data plates you mentioned the original paint underneath. I looked to see mine and all I saw was what resembled CARC green underneath. Mine is an M-35A2 Kaiser Jeep built in 1970. Would like to put it back into original color for its initial year but unsure of which one is a proper color. According to most paint manuals I can get ahold of states 24087 was the right green for that year on Army vehicles. Do you agree?

(picture is of M109's vehicle, not mine)

Attachments

m109guy

Well you always have to be ready for the zombies ;)

No I haven't done the generator mod yet, but it is planned. At the moment it is just on the drawing board. I picked up some fuel tank mounts last week to hold the generator in place. Once I have her painted, I plan to work on stuff like that.

I actually just got back home from a marathon painting job for the M109. I started at 8am and finished my first coat of paint at 2:30pm. It took 2 gallons of paint, but she is all painted. Sadly this is just the first coat. My back is killing me, but I will be back at it tomorrow for the second coat.

The paint color of your truck depends on where it came from, who was using it, and the era that you want to put it back to.

My truck was built in 1970, but was rebuilt back in 1985. I found the original color under my dataplates because the guys who re-painted my truck back then were too lazy to remove them and just taped over the plates instead. The paint job was not a great one either as they did a bad job behind the cab and ended up painting over a lot of dirt and sand back there, leaving it very rough. It doesn't matter all that much because the cab blocks the view, but it is laziness non the less.

As for using the 24087, that is correct for the year for the M35, but there are other M35's which were built in that year that might have been painted differently. Like I said before, it is up to you which color you prefer. My truck was a brownish style OD back in 1970, and while it was correct for the year, I did not want it that color. I painted it a more current Marine Forest Green (we can't get a hold of CARC up here).

Numbers

Well, when your back is up to it make sure to post pictures. If it turns out anything remotely like the rest of the truck it should be awesome.

m109guy

I just finished posting some pictures on my site. Sadly the pictures turned out bad due to my batteries dying and not letting me use the flash, but it gives you an idea. The color is darker in person than in the pictures.

Numbers

Hurry up and charge those batteries :) Looks good. I imagine that once that flash works the color will pop. You appear to have removed alot before painting. Most people don't go that far. Did you bust out the torch for the frozen bolts or did you get extremely lucky?

Attachments

m109guy

Hurry up and charge those batteries :) Looks good. I imagine that once that flash works the color will pop. You appear to have removed alot before painting. Most people don't go that far. Did you bust out the torch for the frozen bolts or did you get extremely lucky?
Yeah the paint is a lot darker in person.

I wanted to give it a good paint job. I like doing things right the first time so I might as well go all the way. Most bolts came out fine, but I busted a few. All the bolts that held the two yellow light brackets on the front fenders snapped off when I removed them, but it was worth it to get all the rust out from under it and repair the damage the rust had done to the fender.

I didn't take a picture of it, but I also painted the new hard top for the truck. It will go on after the second coat of paint dries and I am ready to reassemble.

I also got a new set of decals for the cab and am going to order a new set of dataplates to finish things off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks