• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian Deuce

oboyjohn

Hello everyone. I thought I post some pictures of our Canadian version of the M35 deuce, otherwise known as an MLVW (medium logistics vehicle wheeled). This workhorse has been retired and are rapidly disappearing from bases and units. I joined up in 1984 when it made its first appearance in the Canadian Forces and was being phased out when I took my retirement in 2011 from my Reserve unit,51 Service Battalion. I worked on these trucks almost my whole career and got to know them very well. When the Forces adopted the M35 from our American neighbours, they made well over 75 modifications, some small, some not so.

IMG_0645.jpgIMG_0638.jpgIMG_0639.jpgIMG_0640.jpgIMG_0641.jpgIMG_0642.jpgIMG_0643.jpg

At first glance they look pretty similar. On the front end we added frame extensions to make a walking platform for drivers and mechanics. Inside the cab is similar except ours has one less pedal and an automatic shifter instead of a stick. All of our trucks came with an air shift 6X6 engagement lever. Our tires are 11.00 X 20's Michelin XLS singled out on the rear axles. I believe the spare tire mount is also different from our Southern cousins.

IMG_0644.jpgIMG_0646.jpgIMG_0647.jpgIMG_0649.jpgIMG_0650.jpg

The wheels are combat style split rims. The truck first came out with the split ring style, but over the years in our winters and plenty of salt on our roads corroded the locking rings and grooves to the point they became dangerous. Now we start to see some big differences. The first is under the hood. The American Deuce had a in-line 6 multi fuel, with or without turbo (the classic M35A2 ) where the Canadian version went with an 8.2 litre Detroit Fuel Pincher V8. It looks like a tight fit under the hood but it is laid out pretty well and it stood the test of time. A turbo would have been nice ( especially in the Rockies) but it worked well. The redline of the engine was 3250rpm and it would run all day right there. In my career as a mechanic I replaced only one engine, not because of over speed damage but a blown oil cooler. The next big difference is the power steering. I have driven American deuces at Front Drum and Camp Blanding and it is not too bad on the arms. But once you have driven a deuce with power steering, you don't want to go back. And the last big chance is the Automatic transmission. It is an Allison MT 643. This is a great transmission, tough, reliable, and simple. There is no computer controlling it, only a modulator cable for shifting. The only thing electric on it is the neutral start safety switch.

There are other differences but I have shown the major ones. I hope you have enjoyed seeing a rare beast.

Cheers!

oboyjohn

Bonjour Louwon. Quand vous dites le ``Bruiter`` c`est le Klaxon?

Hello Louwon. When you say ``le Bruiter``, do you mean the horn?

Cheers!

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bonjour Louwon. Quand vous dites le ``Bruiter`` c`est le Klaxon?

Hello Louwon. When you say ``le Bruiter``, do you mean the horn?

Cheers!
I know, most people would translate the "bruiteur" as a noise maker, love it.
Originally from Ottawa but raised in Hull, so a few hours from you

lokkju

Can't quite read the info on the steering box; it looks like a Ross HF52 of some sort? and it looks like it is mounted on the outside of the frame?

Interesting, in that a lot of the power steering discussion on SS has been focused on the HF54.

Last edited:

rustystud

Can't quite read the info on the steering box; it looks like a Ross HF52 of some sort? and it looks like it is mounted on the outside of the frame?

Interesting, in that a lot of the power steering discussion on SS has been focused on the HF54.
Did you notice the pitman arm ? It is bent inwards towards the gear to provide tire clearance.

lokkju

Yup, I did. Turns out that is either an HFB 52013X or 52033X (same casting number). I'm *really* curious how how the mounting holes match up, etc. Looking for the maintenance manual at the moment as well, but not seeing any digital copies available.

oboyjohn

Hello Everyone. The steering box is a Ross HFB-52022. It is mounted on the outside of the frame rail but the is also an adapter plate riveted to it for correct angle and alignment. This plate is easily 5/16-7/16 of an inch thick. The power steering pump is made By Eaton Corp model 16352-1 and is belt driven off the harmonic balancer. It is rated at 2.2 gallons per minute and max pressure is 1500 psi. The reservoir is remote mounted on the engine above the pump. It has an internal filter and is gravity fed. You can see it in the 10th photo, behind the headlight bucket. If you have any questions, ask away and I will answer them to the best of my ability. Cheers!

lokkju

Thanks a lot! Dimensions/drawings for the 52022 mounting plate and pitman arm would make this a reasonably inexpensive and easy PS upgrade; the 52022 seems to still be easily available at a reasonable price, there is no frame cutting needed beyond a couple of holes, and it's obviously been well tested. What does the steering wheel assembly look like?

oboyjohn

I know of a scrap yard that has a frame or two. I will try some time this week to go by there and take some photos/measurements. As for the steering column, I believe it is the same as the American version but the steering wheel itself is small in diameter and is beefier.

oboyjohn

Hello everyone. I have been to the scrap yard and armed with a tape measure and my cell, I have take pictures of the adapter plate and re-enforcement plate. I had for gotten that there was a re-enforcement plate on the inside frame rail and the frame itself is sandwiched between these two plates and is riveted together with 8 rivets. All the material it 1/4 inch plate. One edge is folded over and there is another added by welding. I have tried to take all the measurements into account but this is not a super precise part. There are a lot of pictures and the frame is sitting upside down. So here we go:
IMG_0654.jpgIMG_0655.jpgIMG_0656.jpgIMG_0657.jpgIMG_0658.jpgIMG_0659.jpgIMG_0660.jpgIMG_0661.jpgIMG_0663.jpgIMG_0669.jpg
More to follow.

oboyjohn

Second batch:
IMG_0670.jpg
This picture indicates from the front of the frame rail to the front of the re-enforcement plate on the inside of the frame. The distance reads 13 3/4 inches.
IMG_0671.jpgIMG_0672.jpgIMG_0673.jpgIMG_0674.jpgIMG_0676.jpgIMG_0677.jpgIMG_0678.jpgIMG_0679.jpgIMG_0680.jpgIMG_0681.jpg
More to follow

oboyjohn

Third batch:
IMG_0685.jpgIMG_0686.jpgIMG_0687.jpg

I hope I have taken all the measurements needed to make these parts. Below is the actual steering box with pitman arm that was removed from our truck.
IMG_0689.jpgIMG_0690.jpg

If any of you are adventurous in attempting this mod, I wish you the best of luck!
Cheers for just outside Montreal Canada!

Attachments

Last edited:

oboyjohn

Hello again. I just saw an errant picture in my last post. Please ignore the last one that looks like the tape measure is floating in mid air.

Cheers!

oboyjohn

Hi 18operator, Wilfred, and Ruststud. I checked out the engine specs and they are rated at 165 hp at 3000 rpm. The torque spec at 1200rpm is 350ft lbs. Hey Wilfred, your 190ish hp guess, it that a turbo`ed engine or not? Ours did not have the turbo kit. Normally aspirated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks