• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian military version of mep-803a

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, new to the forum and I have read as much as I can from all the info on the forum.

The TM and various thread have given me very good background on the 803.

I have recently acquired a surplus military 803. Was told that it was in working condition before being declared surplus 1800hrs on the meter. And equipped with the heater option

Trying to learn as much as I can before attempting start up. 2 quick questions . Silver box above starter appears to be some kind of relays but did not see any references in any of the threads - below the starter ( one of the wire is cut ) some kind if tachometer?

Thanks for any comments/ suggestions

Larry

Attachments

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The silver box is part of the Arctic Heater. See TB 9-6115-641-13

The cut wires are part of the magnetic pickup sensor for sensing if the generator RPM is >900 RPM after cranking.
This is to disengage the starter and flash the field of the genhead when starting the set.

Per TM 9-8115-842-24
As the engine accelerates to approximately 900 rpm, the magnetic pickup, which senses engine speed, causes the crank
disconnect switch to break the circuit to the coil of the crank disconnect relay and close the contacts of the field flash relay.

Looks like there may be enough lead left on the magnetic pickup to solder the two leads back on and see if it's still functional.

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct, your set does not have the "quad" modification.
Definitely something you need to install before attempting to start it.

See TB 11-6115-741-24 for the details on how to do the Quad Mod and parts required.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

I like how they said it has been Canadianized. Probably just meaning it has the Artic heater addition. :)

Start here MEP-802A MEP-803A Filters and Parts at the top of the second post, read the reset manual PDF page 29, has the parts listing, and installation info. Something you want to do before attempting to start.

Quad fuse mod
bm6031sq fuse holder.jpgfnq-r-3.jpg1 phase MEP switch setup.jpg

Quick links to many other good things.

Magnetic pickup speed sensor wire clipped. Needed for starter disengagement, and operating rpm's.

The TM section also has a specific TM for the Artic Heaters. There are some members which have units with the artic heat option. Most were sold out of the Fort Drum area, being the region of the Mountain 10th.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The silver box is the controller for the heater. Hella is a German firm, and is a big name here in Germany, This part, should you ever need it, will be available. I saw a few other things missing in the pictures. The air hose from filter to intake manifold being one of them. All in all, doesn't look too bad.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks