• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian RFP for 2,300 Medium Trucks

GoldComet6

Interesting reading about MV events "Up North".

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...b-rfp-for-2300-medium-trucks-02391/#more-2391

Canada Issues CDN$ 1.2B RFP for 2,300 Medium Trucks

03-Dec-2008 12:24 EST

The FMTV Family

Just before Canada Day 2006, Canada’s minority Conservative Party government outlined a C$ 1.2 billion (USD $1 billion) RFP for new medium-sized logistics trucks and associated equipment. These trucks will become the new backbone of the Canadian Forces’ land transport capabilities, replacing the 1950s-era designs of its MLVW trucks (really, US M-35/M-36 designs with some modifications) built in the 1980s.

The Bombarider-built MLVWs are reaching the end of their service lives, and have limited up-armoring capacity which is crucial for survival in places like Afghanistan. This may explain why the Canadian forces in Afghanistan are relying on their HLVW heavy trucks instead, 10-ton capacity Steyr vehicles related to the smaller US FMTV medium truck family.
Under the new plan, the Canadian Forces will purchase up to 2,300 new medium trucks. What are the requirements? The configurations and numbers? Is this a welcome arrival that fills a critical gap? A mistake that will leave Canada out of step with shifting trends? Or a politically-driven move that falls into the “something, and hence better than nothing” category? Or all 3? DID has answers – and a recent update from Ottawa, which explains the lack of progress on this contract…

If You Could Read My Mind: Medium Truck Requirements

A competitive procurement process will select the contractor for the new truck fleet, with requests for proposals being released to industry for all elements of the project. The acquisition contracts will also have economic offsets – for every contract dollar awarded, the contractor will be expected to commit a corresponding dollar in economic activity in Canada.
“The procurement process will be fair, open, transparent and in line with this government’s Federal Accountability Act and Action Plan,” said Minister Fortier. The Department of National Defence will procure 2,300 vehicles, associated components, logistics and training support at a cost of approximately $1.1 billion. It is estimated that 20 years of contracted in-service support will cost an additional $100 million.

The project aims to procure approximately
:
  • 800 commercial vehicles adapted for military use. The commercial vehicles will be used in Canada for training and administrative support functions, and by the Reserves. Their maintenance and repair will be supported commercially through a well-established local dealer network, benefiting Canadian industry and local economies. For the Canadian Forces, this will also lower support costs and increase availability. This is especially important to the Reserves, who will be the main user.
  • 1,500 standard military pattern vehicles (designed specifically for military use) with up to 300 load-handling system companion trailers. The in-service support contract for the standard military pattern vehicle will include support for an initial period of 2 – 3 years. A follow-on support contract for the remainder of the 20-year total life of the vehicles will be negotiated or competed separately. DND will also procure key add-ons, including…
  • 300 armor protection systems. DID has covered contracts for up-armored FMTVs, including such variants as the RACK kits.
  • 1,000 specially equipped vehicles kits (such as mobile kitchens, offices and medical or dental stations); and,
The estimated in-service support cost is $100 million, representing a substantial income for Canadian industry. The requirement for this equipment is urgent. Delivery is expected as soon as possible and will continue until the requirement is fully met.
Go-Go Round: Contracts and Updates
Dec 1/08: The Ottawa Citizen’s David Pugliese reports on the medium truck project – and the news is not good:
“I received this from a frustrated individual on the inside with details on the truck program:
“DND will not release detailed specifications because they’re not sure where they will deploy next and don’t want to suffer any embarrassment if they ask for something that can perform well on Afghan roads but not elsewhere. They cannot specify what level of armour protection they want, how many armoured cabs they want, and what trade-offs for mobility they are willing to accept. (Even if they were to decide tomorrow, certifying the design through destructive testing at Aberdeen Proving Ground would take 2-3 years.)
Perhaps the most egregious thing is that they cling to old paradigms. They want a 4-tonne and 8-tonne capacity vehicle because that’s what they’ve always had. But they also say that they want NATO compatibility so that when cross-loading the loads don’t have to be re-packaged into smaller shipment. A loaded 20-foot ISO container is 16 tonnes (NATO standard) but they seem oblivious to this.
The project management office is wickedly understaffed…. The process is gummed up and no one seems able to cut through the illiteracy and risk-aversion, or the tendency to cling to tradition in a transformed world.”
Appendix A: It’s Too Late, He Wins – Issues and Analysis (July 1/06)

Some observers wonder if Canada might be about the repeat its past MLVW mistake by buying a design just as it nears the end of its life. The realities of modern missions around the world will include more frequent encounters with IED land mines, and a greater need for secure vehicles. This is just beginning to have significant effects on military vehicle design via elements like V-hulls et. al., and programs are in the pipe with a number of militaries to find new approaches.
A major buy at this juncture, say the critics, will lock Canada into a 1990s design just as others are moving forward, and trap Canada in that design for the next 20-30 years. Buy 100-200 hundred FMTV or MTVR medium trucks for US compatibility, use them in Afghanistan as an interim option, then wait for international developments and find a more modern and survivable bandwagon to jump on in 5 years or so.

A different view looks at the FMTV design, and sees future compatibility. Systems like the M142 HIMARS rocket launcher, and the next-generation MEADS air defense system, are based on FMTV trucks. While the FMTV design may or may not be optimal in 10 years, goes this argument, a small military like Canada’s needs maximum compatibility, and both HIMARS and MEADS are likely to be future necessities for a Canadian Forces that lacks both effective long-range punch and a viable air defense system for its forces (ADATS doesn’t qualify).
A third argument says that these previous arguments are somewhat beside the point. Canada has a minority conservative government that values the Cnaadian Forces and is willing to invest in them. Minority governments are unstable, and given past patterns there’s no guarantee that a Canadian government five years from now will still be interested in the Canadian Forces’ needs. While recapitalization based on military timing would be optimal, the reality is that political timing must be the dominant factor – and that political timing is now, for better or worse.

DID’s readers can decide for themselves which of these arguments holds more currency.

And this is what we end up with...

Came across these today on the way by the Cummins Eastern office yard. They are 2009 Workstar 7400 SFA 8 Ton Cargo 6x6's, built by Navistar Defense. Here is the company link - http://tinyurl.com/nw8p25 - with the story. Our 2.5 Ton MLVW's(M-35) are being retired and sold off. Not sure what I think of them yet as I really only looked at them for 15 minutes. Big. Beefy running gear. Plastered with lots of wires, lines, hoses along the undercarriage. Some low mounted boxes and spare wheel setup. I do know one thing - actually two things - that jumped out at me were the cup holders and CD player. No more hot coffee all over my legs trying to hold the cup and operate the controls.....or change the CD. I'll have to make an inquiry at getting a closer look.

Attachments

Last edited:

WPNS421

The Internationals are for use in Canada only, they will not be deployed overseas. At least that is what is being said. I have seen the trucks up close and they are big. As to the maintenace the International dealers will do the repairs for the first year. Unfortunately for the MV collectors the MLVW will be sold off branded as unrepairable thus no registration for the road. Ask me I have 4 MLVWs with no registrations.

M1075

SWEET looking trucks! I agree they would be best suited for paved roads and also improved roads. It looks like you can't get too aggressive with them. Send me one down here in Oklahoma quick!

charlietango

not to mention the over-all length of them would make trail riding (or turning) damn near impossible. unless you make your own trail that is. they are, IMO, WAY too long. Man do those ever look intimidating though! they really seem beefy. I love those wheels/tires

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks