• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cannon Plugs

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, where on earth do you find them?

I need two cannon plugs (AN3102-20-17) but no internet search effort finds useful (not buying 1,000 of them, has picture to confirm it's the right thing).

I'd settle for just the pin sockets so I can mold my own but don't know where to find them, or what sizes I'd need if I did.

The only other option I can think of is to solder wires directly on the tips of the pins.

Given so much military equipment has them, there must be some way of buying them.

LLCP.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming you looked through Newark Electronics and Digikey Electronics websites?
I wasn't aware of Newark, and Digikey has something with that number but no picture to confirm it, and appears to be available only in bulk.

Still, even getting a shiny new plug doesn't help me much since I'd have to pin it out, and you may as well ask me to write a paper on quantum physics - I know it can be done but I have no understanding of that process.

KN6KXR

I hear you. I made an "interrupter" harness for the M939A2 CTIS system so I could break it out and talk to it. Same type of stuff. You should be able to cross reference and find the proper nomenclature. It was a lark as I was typing the number there were "C" parts.... Some of this is NOT very obvious!

That thing you are looking for comes in "P" as well as "S". Problem is the min buy qty is 50 so that's $1,365.00. Must be pretty far out of production. At those prices look for something used to hack up.

KN6KXR

That link I posted above: go to that and open the "Technical Datasheet" link. This will open the catalog that governs the layout. Amphenol military is WEIRD in that their layout nomenclature is different than anybody else. For example if you told me you were looking for a XXXX-20-17P I would assume you are looking for a 17 pin connector. Not with Amphenol! That's a size 20 shell with a SIX PIN connector. So you have to be careful and really read the manuals with them. I don't know who came up with their system but it's a whole different gig than say Molex or somebody. I have mistakenly ordered the wrong gender for adapter projects even when I thought I was sure. So just double, tripe, quadruple check.

The Newark site looks pretty good. Chances of finding a live person who knows all about it are slim but you could give it a try. Cross reference to other sites I remember buying connectors from one site and pins from another based on cost or lead times. You have to be creative. You'll get it done.

papakb

The AN3102 and the MS3102 connectors are the same. These are threaded bulkhead connectors. The mating cable connectors are MS3106 or AN3106. The letter designates its environmental spec, sealed, standard, etc. The 20 is a size reference ie 20mm. The last 17F is the pin size and configuration in the connector. You'll have to get this from the Amphenol catalog and the suffix letter is usually an S (socket) or a P (pin).

As stated, you can buy them from almost any electronics distributor, Allied, Mouser, Digikey, RS and many surplus stores, Harbor Electronics, Marvac, Connector Distribution, and I've found that once you know the exact number of the connector your looking for Ebay can be a decent source for them.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks