• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carboarius' 1954 M211

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The short ride-along leaks with the sweet sound of a solid truck. I've got a stupid grin on my face so we can tell you're probably feeling pretty good about it too. Is there any rub from those tires climbing hills?

We've been doing 0-50mph runs and seeing the 40 second mark click by with the camera on the seat, facing the speedometer. One other M135 up here, Gizmo, has the 12.00 / 20's on them and he hits 60mph pretty easy. We haven't done a 0-50mph run with the bigger tires so if you get a chance,,,,,and of course finding a closed circuit or a safe location,,,,,,give us a raw video of the engine/ shift sounds for comparison, in a 0-50mph test.

The truck looks like it just came from the factory with that ideal hood to fender body-line, lack of rust and dents, really appreciate seeing it.

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was that the bed in Taos? If so that was a great deal!
Also are the tires 395s?
The bed was from a local guy, he stopped by my garage sale this summer and said he had a bed that might fit the truck. Little did he know that it was a bed for a M135.
The tires are Michelin X 14.5 r20s so they are about 44" tall, give or take. The tires are roughly 4 inches taller than the stock 9.00 r20s and the truck sits about 2" taller than stock.

gentrysgarage

Thanks

The bed was from a local guy, he stopped by my garage sale this summer and said he had a bed that might fit the truck. Little did he know that it was a bed for a M135.
The tires are Michelin X 14.5 r20s so they are about 44" tall, give or take. The tires are roughly 4 inches taller than the stock 9.00 r20s and the truck sits about 2" taller than stock.
Got a nice set of G177s (2 inches smaller than yours) but have been thinking of getting those rims!
Thanks!

1944mb

Nice Video footage!! Those tires defintiely change the look of stuff. Neat to see. Got any more M135 beds down there? Once I get thise 211 whipped into shape, I'm gonna take the 207 and m135 and make a complete truck with the two

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got any more M135 beds down there?
There might be a few south of me, but not any that I know of for sale. I have my eye on a few project trucks around town, but nothing has come up for sale yet. The guy I got the bed from was planning to make it into a trailer, but decided my truck was a worthier cause; he didn't have any other parts.

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yikes! Almost two years since an update. :whistle: The quick run down is that the truck has been a lot of fun, it has attended a couple car shows and numerous camping trips. Troop seats and a rear cargo cover were reconnoitered for her and a couple new friends joined the herd.

On the last camping trip she developed a knock so she was sidelined from action to prevent any lasting damage. Thus brings us to this week's adventures of taking out the engine for a rebuild. Engine is rebuild-able (just old bearings near as I can tell), but I would not turn down the notion of a spare power pack (or two). I figure rebuilding the engine this winter ought to keep me out of trouble and away from the internet (read classifieds/craigslist).
And before y'all ask, here are some pictures. ;-)

2.jpg1.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
302 Inline 6 GMC Military

One or two? These are the take-outs we found in crates. I was going to get these open and turned this year and now I don't feel so bad seeing you haven't posted for two years.

302crates.jpg

Sounds like you had some good times so we'll now be aggravating you for deuce camping pictures. What's it like throwing an M135 around?

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One or two? These are the take-outs we found in crates. I was going to get these open and turned this year and now I don't feel so bad seeing you haven't posted for two years.
Sounds like you had some good times so we'll now be aggravating you for deuce camping pictures. What's it like throwing an M135 around?
Man those look nice. Probably two as I added a M220 to the herd this summer. 3.jpg
No harm in not getting things done, life kind of gets away from us sometimes.

An M135 is a whole lot of fun to take off road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0c51UCfrVQ

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will see about an overhaul video. I managed to get the engine pulled and on a stand. Haven't had a chance to tear into it yet, but I can tell you things are a lot easier if you open up the center floor plate of the cab and don't forget the top bolt of the bell housing- speaking from experience... There is a center rod and bearing that goes from the transmission and rests in the engine, so separating the units must be done with care.20191224_181850.jpg

DUUANE

nice engine stand. Where did you get that bad boy? the industrial 413's in my shop are making my chineseium "1250lb" stands suffer.

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nice engine stand. Where did you get that bad boy? the industrial 413's in my shop are making my chineseium "1250lb" stands suffer.
I got it from NAPA, it is one of the geared ones so you turn a crank to spin the block over. It looks a lot more secure now that the generator and air compressor are off the block, but the straight six is still a large mass hanging wayyy out there.

DUUANE

Yeah i noticed the gear drive. Totally want one..ill have to call them up and see what the bottom line is..and if they can even get them in canada..the only other ones ive seen with the gear drive are OTC, huge and about $7k designed for doing cummins 855's and detroit 8v92's ..take up half my shop..well id have to make space so it could take up half the shop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks