• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carbon Tracks in Distributor Cap

copperline

I have a 1952 M37. This is a brand new distributor cap, rotor and Pertronix electronic ignition.

I have been having some bad issues with getting her started so thinking I'm having an ignition problem I pulled the cap and noticed carbon tracks in the cap. Seems pretty bad considering there might be a total of one hour on this cap (if even that).

I also noticed that they are all leading (or following, i cant really figure out which) the electrodes. Each electrode had the same tracks, i just cleaned off one or two before i took the picture.

I have my timing set at about 3-4 BTDC.

Any ideas what is causing this? I read about rotor phasing on other vehicles but zero mention of rotor phasing on any M37 forums.

Attachments

copperline

Now that I looked closer at the pictures i see brass shavings. It looks like my rotor is hitting the electrodes and shaving off brass filings. The path would make me think the tracks are after the electrode.

Why would my rotor be hitting the electrodes? I thought they weren't even supposed to touch. Something seems very wrong here.

JD4044M

Now that I looked closer at the pictures i see brass shavings. It looks like my rotor is hitting the electrodes and shaving off brass filings. The path would make me think the tracks are after the electrode.

Why would my rotor be hitting the electrodes? I thought they weren't even supposed to touch. Something seems very wrong here.
Are you sure your Rotor is the right one or down all the way on the shaft?

GopherHill

You might have a dimensional problem with the rotor. Is it a NOS part or reproduction? If you want, take the cap out of the shell and set it on the distributor.
Have soldier B bar over the engine and feel for the rotor scraping. You can file the rotor contact down and clean up tracks in the cap with Dremel tool polishing tip.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So was your rotor hitting? Have you replaced the points and condenser? It's only been 45years since I was doing that regularly. Now I would go electronic.

JD4044M

On my M37 I gutted the original Distributor installed a 12 vdc coil out side of it and went to standard 12 volt wires and plugs. I used the Rotor and cap from the stock set up. Been about 20 years since I did that but it worked great and saved me a bunch of money. I don't mind Points it is Old School but so am I. I can see what is wrong with points when in the boonies broke down and jerry rig them to work to get home.PWENG8 (640x480).jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks