• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo Camper transfered to FMTV?

aggiedave

I am in the process of thinking through a build that will take some time with my budget and had a random thought and wanted to see if anyone else has tried it or done it...

Aside from needing to fix where the wheel wells were, can anyone see a reason why you could not just build a cargo trailer camper, then remove the subframe components/axles and bolt the cargo camper to to an M1083 or M1078 with an extended frame? We are a family of 6 and trying to get all the needs met without spending 100k on a build.

I am thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of an 8.5x18-20' box (not a v nose) with interior height of 7 Ft. Advantage is I could use the "overland" cargo camper with my F250 then transfer it when I have a FMTV purchased and in good shape.Probably would loose some in departure angle, but otherwise I think would work. Thoughts? More trouble than its worth?

Alternatively, what bout a used dry cargo box with a lift gate and make a cool toy garage with a lift on the back?

Sorry for the terrible pic, trying to communicate the idea.

-Dave

Attachments

coachgeo

I am in the process of thinking through a build that will take some time with my budget and had a random thought and wanted to see if anyone else has tried it or done it...

Aside from needing to fix where the wheel wells were, can anyone see a reason why you could not just build a cargo trailer camper, then remove the subframe components/axles and bolt the cargo camper to to an M1083 or M1078 with an extended frame? We are a family of 6 and trying to get all the needs met without spending 100k on a build.

I am thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of an 8.5x18-20' box (not a v nose) with interior height of 7 Ft. Advantage is I could use the "overland" cargo camper with my F250 then transfer it when I have a FMTV purchased and in good shape.Probably would loose some in departure angle, but otherwise I think would work. Thoughts? More trouble than its worth?

Alternatively, what bout a used dry cargo box with a lift gate and make a cool toy garage with a lift on the back?

Sorry for the terrible pic, trying to communicate the idea.

-Dave
a fellow is doing an awesome job building out a former cargo box off a Uhaul like truck.

as for trailer.. IMHO. cut off the tongue, tuck it in deeper so the ball is barey out or right under edge of whatever end you want to face cab. remove wheels... mayybe remove axle?? but keep suspension tuck axle / suspension up some if that would work. now mount/weld?? trailer ball to sub frame or bolted into bed. put the camper box on and latch it to ball. Affix the trailer suspension to the bed or subframe you bolted to chassis. Now you have basically created a pivoting mount like many expedition campers use.

That was my plan till went different route. think I've heard of one person who has done it this way. Be aware.... while your box will flex less mounted on a pivot system compared to solid mount (which would probably destroy it)... is still going to flex a lot compared to its designed intentions. Keep that in mind and consider flex mounting in some fashion your cabinets and everything in interior to allow for movement..

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks