• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Caterpillar 3116 engine

AceHigh

Just curious why some CAT 3116's are green and others are yellow.
The yellow ones are first quality, the green ones did not meet specs.

Kidding of course. A Cat worker on here said they only paint them yellow, and when the military would insist on green from time to time Cat had to send them out for green paint. I don't know this as fact, but it sounds possible.

mktopside

Banned
The yellow ones are first quality, the green ones did not meet specs.

Kidding of course. A Cat worker on here said they only paint them yellow, and when the military would insist on green from time to time Cat had to send them out for green paint. I don't know this as fact, but it sounds possible.
Lololol I was going to say the same thing......except I wasn't going to tell him I was joking.

goodguyzy

that's against the rules!! now i know that this engine was used in Thomas buses, good info. but the engine doesn't look like right to me, i don't think the turbo and some other items are the same

goodguyzy

for some reason those didn't pop up the first time. Since the 3116 is a off the self civi engine I now realize that a lot of parts are had out in the local market, duh.aua
Now how long will it take for someone to get one of the old buses and pull the tranny? It looks like you could buy a bus and pull motor and tranny and almost break even on scrap value.

mktopside

Banned
for some reason those didn't pop up the first time. Since the 3116 is a off the self civi engine I now realize that a lot of parts are had out in the local market, duh.aua
Now how long will it take for someone to get one of the old buses and pull the tranny? It looks like you could buy a bus and pull motor and tranny and almost break even on scrap value.
Looks like a lot of them came mated to the Allison MD3060, which I think is a 6 speed.

goodguyzy

that is a 6 speed.....OK now we are getting somewhere. I know with all the A3 being bought other people are already working on replacing the transmission. I was trying to find the specs of this unit, most importantly length, but didn't have any luck. Now my neighbors will really think im nuts when i buy a school bus!

jimmcld

I've seen these engines listed for $7000 with 100,000 miles on them. Is it that much more dependable than the multifuel? What kind of miles are expected for this engine?

3dAngus

One of the guys at the Georgia Rally advised me against buying the M35A3 because of the Cat 3116. He said it was undependable and high maintenance, and he knew, because he worked on them. He says the multifuel is the only way to go. Can't recall his name, but he appeared to be very knowledgeable on them, as was his friend who agreed.

I still like the A3 though. Just thought I would pass it along.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks