• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cattle wagon camper build.

mattgunguy

We must be addicted by this point. Literally just got the XM818 ruunning & legal yesterday just to bring this home today. It never flipping ends & I'm out of yard space. About a 300 miles round trip. No real issues except loosening the winch pto shaft two miles into things, & a pleasant chat with the highway patrol for no trailer lights. Got a warning on that one. Got the trailer for basically scrap value & some other parts as well. Doing a camper & a quad cab as well. This brings back memories though. I could have rode in it during basic at Ft. Wood many moons ago.

Does anyone know the designation of this? I'll do better pictures tomorrow .

Attachments

mattgunguy

That will make a great camper!
Is it a military trailer?
It came out of Ft. Leonard Wood about ten years ago on a GL auction the seller said. Still has U.S. Army & a serial number on the said. I have no idea if they had an official designation or were a just there thing. I do remember them from basic back in 01.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
was in a few of them when i was at lost in the woods packed us in there like sardines
Anyone going through basic in the Army since at least the mid-70s rode in one of them. I would have loved to ride in them more at Benning but we were the closest (by about 100 yards) barracks to the rifle ranges. So the guys 100 yards away got to ride Cattle Cars to the ranges while we got to speed march.

oddshot

rofl

Mkcoen quote "Anyone going through basic in the Army since at least the mid-70s rode in one of them."

Earlier than mid-70's. I rode (and MOOOOOOOOOED) in them at Fort Jackson in 1970.

I would have thought the last of them things rotted out and blew away eons ago.

Along with the last of the Checker Marathon Airport Limo's.

Last edited:

mattgunguy

G789 is the only military looking number I can find. Stamped on the data tag & done in paint pen a couple times. I check that number but got a bunch of different results. It's still really solid but there is some cancer to fix. It'll be a fun project. I hope. For the grand I paid for it I can at least get back in scrap, but I'd hate to do that. As said, there can't be to many of these left in decent shape.

RAYZER

Please post some more pictures!!
What's the length of this trailer?
Doe's it use a military 6 ton trailer axle (deuce wheel bolt pattern)?
Hard to tell by the original pic, are the windows m109 / m146
Windows?

turnkey

Rode in several while stationed at Ft. Gordon, Ga. Called them cattle cars...mid-70s.....Had the mid swing for school, so that was the only thing the army had for us to ride in.....Got so good in them that we all moooooooooooooood when making right hand turns...Drove the MPs nuts.....Smelled like a cattle car too....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks