• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CCKW/G506 data plates

1944mb

I know very little about the CCKW and G506 and I am trying to figure out where the data plates for each would be located? Also do they have any serial number stampings on the frame or anywhere else to help identify the truck? Do the data plates typically divulge whether they were a Winch truck or not? Also I have heard that real early trucks(same like 1941) that finding the correct front bumper and extensions are hard to come by is that true? Where do most CCKW owners get their parts? Thanks

WW2Chevy

While the CCKW and G506 look similar( fenders, axles & hubs, etc.) there are a lot of differences. Most G506 trucks were closed cab, while most CCKWs were open cab. They also had different engines, transmissions and driveline. I have only very limited knowledge regarding CCKWs.
G506 answers:

Early (Y and Z models) dataplates were located on the dash and the header panel over the windshield. N model trucks were all moved to the header panel.
Y model plates
Y model.PNG
Y model plates.PNG
N model plates
N model plates.PNG

G506 truck serial numbers were stamped on the dataplate, but not the frame from the factory. If a truck went through an ordnance depot rebuild, it was common to stamp it on the frame.

Y and Z model truck serial numbers only indicate standard or long wheelbase (YP, ZP are standard; YQ, ZQ are long wheelbase). N model truck dataplates indicate the type of truck (G7103, G7107, G7117, etc) on the plate. The serial number itself also tells you the type ( NM, NL, NJ, etc). The G506 SNL parts manual has several pages of tables listing the different model types. I am constantly referring to my PDF version of that manual to determine correct part numbers.
Model Identification Table
Model Identification List.PNG

Regarding the early winch extensions and bumper availability, the same applies to early and late trucks. The extensions are only available by removing them from a donor frame, as they were military specific. To my knowledge, they were not offered separately, as they were hot riveted together with the frame, and considered one part. The front bumper can be reproduced (I had one made for my G506). You just need an existing bumper to copy or a good fab drawing. I can't help you with a drawing of the early style, but can if you need an N model bumper.

Vendors that I know of in no particular order - Frank Von Rosensteil, Warren Duchesne, Peter Debella, Rex Ward, Marty Fravel, David Wildenberg, Frsnk Dr Rek, Jeepest, Jeep-Dodge-GMC, Brent Mullins, Vehicles Of Victory(very difficult to contact). I probably forgot about few. You will find that they are located on both sides of the Atlantic. For many parts, the challenge is finding them(why I use my SNL manual so much). Sometimes the only place to get a particular part is across the ocean.

PS - Ebay can also be a good source, if you know correct partnumbers (reference the SNL). Many sellers will list the partnumber on the box, but have no idea what it is for. TM-WW2.com is where I bought my PDF version of the G506 SNL.

PSS - parts needed will depending a lot on your objective. Are you restoring it, and need "correct" parts, or just want it to drive and stop? It makes a HUGE difference!

Last edited:

1944mb

Thanks for the info. I have a few post wwii deuces and find the standardization of them is a such a blessing. As I've looking towards the G506+g508 series trucks, my perception is it was much more whatever they felt like building that day-or so it seems. Is these series of trucks attracting fewer and fewer collectors/restorers? I currently dont have one as a project, but if I did I would be looking to restore. I am currently reading a couple of books on the CCKW and am amazed at the variants-like I did did not realize that GM also produced the enclosed cab after GMC transitioned to only open cabs. Anyways, its interesting to me, but it also looks like a parts nightmare to find what a person would need

WW2Chevy

Owning a CCKW, G506 and most any other duece is sort of like owning a horse. Lots of people might like to own one, but many do not have the room or money required to feed and care for one. I think the popularity of jeeps is helped in large part by the fact they are relatively small, fit in a garage, and are easy to transport... Regarding the parts used for the 1-1/2 ton and 2-1/2 ton trucks, they were built according to contract. The idea of a military specific vehicle was still relatively new concept prior to WW2. Due to budgets, the military was under equipped, and much of what they did have was simply civilian vehicles adopted for miltiary use. The G506 trucks used a modified civilian cab, but with greatly simplified front clip sheet metal. The engine and transmission and rear axle were virtually identical to their civilian couterparts. The front axle and transfer case were unique, simply due to the fact Chevrolet did not offer a 4x4 1-1/2 ton truck at the time.

For a few short months Chevrolet was building Y, Z and N models on the same assembly lines. The parts used to assemble a truck depended on the contract it was built under. They had contracts which dictated how many they would build of each model. The standards were evolving more rapidly then Chevrolet could fulfill them.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CCKWs on the other hand DO have their serial stamped on the frame, and the suffix letter gives some clue as to what the truck was when manufactured. All CCKW serial numbers are either CCKW or CCKWX (early 1941), then 352 (short wheelbase) or 353 (long wheelbase), then a suffix letter which can mean cab and chassis, cargo, etc, then a sequential production number. The stamping is on the curbside frame rail up near the front axle forward spring shackle. The main data plate on the GMCs is located over the transmission hump attached to the firewall with screws. The serial number is also found there. Like on the Chevys, the winch frame extensions are factory riveted on and are no simple matter to replace. Parts for these trucks are mostly in Europe.

1944mb

WW2 Chevy-We must be glutton for punishment...we have multiple deuces(3 G749, 1 m35) and multiple horses:oops:. Thanks for posting that sheet on what the model number decode as. Yesterday I was scoping out a G506 that has a NJ in the serial number. Looking at your sheet it looks like it must be a cargo truck w/o winch. That is really handy to be able to decode with the VIN like that. I have seen a G506 with a NR in the serial number and I was always disappointed that it had an earth boring machine on it that I assumed someone scabbed on there. But looking at the sheet it looks like maybe that is original? It lists it as a Telephone Maintenance truck earth boring-which it has all that on there. Looking on the internet-there are some pics of that style of truck. Anyone know if that is a rarity? Here is a pic of the cargo truck with a NJ in the sn. g506NJ.jpg
I was also curious-do the GMC and chevy cabs and parts interchange?

NDT- I was hoping you'd show up. Youre always very knowledgeable. Would the stamping be on the top of the frame rail or bottom of the frame rail? I have also been looking at some cckws. All have GM corporate axles, are 353s. I didnt know how available parts were and Id imagine finding something like a troop bed would be like hens teeth? Both these are 42s, one delivered as late as dec 42, so they wouldve had the all steel boxes still? These are a expensive item to restore I'd imagine if parts are mainly overseas? I have an aquantiance that has a g506 that has said they are trying to find frame rail extensions for a g506. So I dont know if they are trying to make it into a winch truck or what, or if the frame is pretty well buggered. My suspicions are they are trying to add a winch, but I could be wrong. Maybe it was in bad accident.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Serial stamping is on the vertical surface of the frame rail.
The Chevy telephone earth boring truck is indeed a rare bird.
‘42 was the transition year to wood beds, could be either depending on numerous factors that we can ask about in the next life.

USMC 00-08

What would a telephone earth boring truck be worth if you could find one in decent shape?

I was looking through some of my grandfather's WW2 pictures and look what I found at the bottom of this pic. I believe it was taken on Mactan Island, Philippines.

G7163.jpg

1944mb

Thats a neat pic there. Looks like they are out working with it. Another question-probably been answered a million times before but g506s came with a 235, and a cckw with a 270. How would a person differentiate a military version vs a civilian version. I know once you got to g749 series of truck the 302 had no fuel pump boss for military engines(because they had electric fuel pumps).

WW2Chevy

WW2 Chevy-We must be glutton for punishment...we have multiple deuces(3 G749, 1 m35) and multiple horses:oops:. Thanks for posting that sheet on what the model number decode as. Yesterday I was scoping out a G506 that has a NJ in the serial number. Looking at your sheet it looks like it must be a cargo truck w/o winch. That is really handy to be able to decode with the VIN like that. I have seen a G506 with a NR in the serial number and I was always disappointed that it had an earth boring machine on it that I assumed someone scabbed on there. But looking at the sheet it looks like maybe that is original? It lists it as a Telephone Maintenance truck earth boring-which it has all that on there. Looking on the internet-there are some pics of that style of truck. Anyone know if that is a rarity? Here is a pic of the cargo truck with a NJ in the sn. View attachment 892064
I was also curious-do the GMC and chevy cabs and parts interchange?

NDT- I was hoping you'd show up. Youre always very knowledgeable. Would the stamping be on the top of the frame rail or bottom of the frame rail? I have also been looking at some cckws. All have GM corporate axles, are 353s. I didnt know how available parts were and Id imagine finding something like a troop bed would be like hens teeth? Both these are 42s, one delivered as late as dec 42, so they wouldve had the all steel boxes still? These are a expensive item to restore I'd imagine if parts are mainly overseas? I have an aquantiance that has a g506 that has said they are trying to find frame rail extensions for a g506. So I dont know if they are trying to make it into a winch truck or what, or if the frame is pretty well buggered. My suspicions are they are trying to add a winch, but I could be wrong. Maybe it was in bad accident.
Converting a non-winch to a winch G506 is quite an undertaking. The front spring perch on a winch truck is actually attached to the winch extensions, not the frame like a non-winch truck would be. Seven solid rivets are used to attach each side of the winch extension. The two larger holes next to 6 & 7 are where the front shocks bolt up.
20210608_122449.jpg

This is a better view of my winch extension. Removed it only so I could repair the bad case of winch droop. It was used as a pusher truck late in its life, and the extensions drooped about 1-1/2" in the 24-25" that they protrude from the frame.
20210725_163906.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mil 270s are different from civilian engines with these added features:
PCV valve and vent line from the top of valve cover.
Steam tube on the head which has something to do with water flow at severe operating angles
Oil pan on mid 42 and later trucks have the second lower oil pan, again to prevent oil starvation at severe operating angles
Probably plenty of other details that I can’t remember.

WW2Chevy

Thats a neat pic there. Looks like they are out working with it. How would a person differentiate a military version vs a civilian version.
G506 answer: G506 trucks have an engine serial number STAMPED on a flat boss located just behind the distributor. The serial number started with "BV" on all trucks except a very few of the earliest 'Y' models, which started with "AV".

1944mb

G506 answer: G506 trucks have an engine serial number STAMPED on a flat boss located just behind the distributor. The serial number started with "BV" on all trucks except a very few of the earliest 'Y' models, which started with "AV".
Good to know. You dont by chance know how a civilian engine came marked? I was also reading that pre '52 235s were babbitted bearings...is that right? Thatd be stepping back into time.

WW2Chevy

Good to know. You dont by chance know how a civilian engine came marked? I was also reading that pre '52 235s were babbitted bearings...is that right? Thatd be stepping back into time.
If a 1942 military truck needed an engine swap, it was likely done post-war, and could be any 216, 235 or 261 available, and could be from any year through probably the early 1960's. The best thing to do if the serial number does not start with "BV" is find the block casting number that is usually right in front of the distributor. Note that I said cast and not stamped.
CastingNumbers001lg.jpg
CastingNumbers002lg.jpg

Once you find the block casting number, Google "nnnnnnnn casting number" and you'll find a number of websites that show what size and range of years that casting number was used.

I have heard the same thing about pre-52 Chevy engines having babbit bearings.

For all the info you need and more regarding Chevy 6 cylinders, visit the Stovebolt forums

Last edited:

1944mb

Found another sad little creature. Not much left of this fella. Not sure on the engine, but the transmission is a hydramatic. Are the rims for these trucks different then say a G749? USMC08 Thought so. He was asking about an earth boring truck, sounds like they are rare, does anyone have an idea of value on them? Also looking at this pic-i was thinking of bringing it home just to salvage parts before it gets crushed. Is there any sense in keeping the frame? I can post a few more pics here in a bit image0.jpeg

WW2Chevy

NDT is right, you know. 👆 That truck raises LOTS of questions. It look like the front axle has been flipped. The differential pumpkin should be on the passenger side, not drivers. The axle may not be driven any more... The steering connecting bar is also in front of the axle, but should be behind it. Pics of the transmission, transfer case and rear axle would be interesting. I wonder if they built this to be driven in reverse??

1944mb

NDT is right, you know. 👆 That truck raises LOTS of questions. It look like the front axle has been flipped. The differential pumpkin should be on the passenger side, not drivers. The axle may not be driven any more... The steering connecting bar is also in front of the axle, but should be behind it. Pics of the transmission, transfer case and rear axle would be interesting. I wonder if they built this to be driven in reverse??
My bet would be at one time it was setup to be driven as a buck rake. Real common(in MT anyways) back in the day to take a 2 ton truck chassis-turn it around and attach a loader and use it to pick square bales. Let me see if i can attach a few more pics. Id be interested in it just for the tire chains. Especially if they'd fit some 9-20 i have. Last i looked they were $200 a set. A5D5148A-4F38-432F-A8B5-F78EAABA9547.jpeg

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks