• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Change that small coolant hose on your 6.2 liter CUCV engine...

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I acquired a 1986 M1008 CUCV pickup from a GSA auction recently. While changing out the original heater hoses, I squeezed the short coolant hose that runs between the cross-over housing and water pump fitting.

It felt "soft", so I removed it and discovered it was split (cut ?) on the backside and ready to blow...

So, don't forget to replace that short hose too...

EDIT: Couple of you guys asked and were answered by others, but this hose is 5/8" ID - so buy an extra foot of heater hose and you'll have plenty left to do this "short" hose job...

004.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg

Last edited:

Vhyle

Actually, mine looks swollen too. I should have pulled it off while I was replacing the radiator, but I didn't. Another thing to add to the list.

chevy79k5

any idea of what size that hose is.. im in the process of cloecting all the parts to replace my radiator. just wann be sure i got all befor i do it. .. im not one for starting at job then having to stop an go run to the parts store so any help with the size ofthat would be great . thanks

cpf240

Take a look in the -20p or -34p TMs for the part number, and have the local parts house look it up. If there is no part number, it will have the info for what size hose to use.

scottladdy

Heater and Bypass Hose Sizes

any idea of what size that hose is..
Replace your heater and radiator hoses too! You need about 4' of 3/4" and 4' of 5/8" to make up your heater hoses. You can cut a small amount off the 5/8" for the bypass hose.

Change your clamps at the same time. Cheap insurance.

The TM's specify what length to cut each hose to. Just use the old bypass section to determine the length of the replacement.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the post and will do on that short hose--- the cooling system redo is one of my weekend projects; drain & flush w/Fleetguard Restore, all new hoses, new AC Delco thermostat, water temp gauge, and the nice green coolant...

RuzzP

Glad you mentioned the one hose is 3/4. I blew one on my way to work recently, eyeballed the hoses and figured they were both5/8 (the oem hoses almost look like they have the same OD just different ID). I changed them out after work that night in the shop.. needless to say i did alot of cursing, but i did manage to force it on with creative use of an exacto knife and torch. The original hoses were thin, and had alot of crusty/crunch goodness in them, almost like hard water scale.

scottladdy

(the oem hoses almost look like they have the same OD just different ID).
I think they get very soft and swell after 25+ years, hence they look almost the same size externally.

I guess that may be a good way to tell when you need new hoses, when they look the same size? rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks