• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing M923 to a M923A1

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Are there many concerns, or is all you basicly have to do is change the 1100x20 tires to the 1400x20 tires and rims. I know you have to flip the rear rims so the inside is facing outside.
I know to complete it right, you would have to slide the bed back 3" and change the spare tire holder.
But is their anything else that is a major concern. I really like the way my M923A1 looks and feels compared to the M923.
Thank you for your help.

Scarecrow1

I just bought an A1 and don't get me wrong I love it but there are times when I wish I had not . The bed on theses trucks are always to high unless you have a dock that is 5 ft high. Getting the 1400-20 tires balanced is also a project in it's self and a costly one at that . You are always a little on edge about a blow out or a flat. Unless your nuts and like the idea of wrestling a 500 pound tire off and on the truck. Now having said that, it is a very cool look and to be honest it's what sold me on mine. . I haven't found a mud hole that has even slowed the truck down let ( YET) . And to have tires taller than most cars is also cool. Good luck and take pictures for others who may wish to do the same ...........If we were closer I would just let you play with mine for a while to be sure it's what you want...Good luck .........

emr

The only thing to know is in a gazzillion posts,BUT... i did not follow it even though i read it a hundred times here, and you know what, they are 100% correct the studs will break if you put the buds back on :) They seam like they tighten up fine, but they are not :) So ...you can and should use the same studs, you just need the same huts in the front now on the rears, and you are good to go, there are those who say, hey put longer studs on, Not necessary and the Mil never did it , they just pulled the thimbles and threw em away, Of course we keep ours, the rears will be out just a little more, this is normal.
as for concerns, They are cooler , it is the best to be an eye level above all the other truckers as they sped by, and just look down at em and smile :) every tire set up has pros and cons, Dont run em to low, dont let em sit low, the side walls dont like that, but they are durable and have performed well in service for a very long time, They wear faster the faster you drive like any tire, just more so, these again are tactical tires on a tactical truck, If you ever need to hit the brakes hard at a high speed, It is known as driver error to drive that fast, you will bounce off the road, So be as careful as you always should be in these vehicles and you will be fine, I put my seuls back on every couple of years because I like the change, but longer and longer I keep the 14s on... Good luck

I never heard of sliding the bed back ? I am getting a wider carrier for the same reasons, I do know the 14s fits on top the the narrow now :)

Last edited:

goldneagle

Who told you to flip the rears? The deuces require this for the rim and tire to line up with the front wheels, or the single rears are way to close to the bed, a host of other problems occur, Just sayin, I never heard it said to flip a 5 tons rears, with that said, You should not and do not have to flip the rears of a 5 ton, also the only thing to know is in a gazzillion posts, i did not follow it even though i read it a hundred times here, and you know what, they are 100% correct the studs will break if you put the buds back on :) They seam like they tighten up fine, but they are not :) So ...you can and should use the same studs, you just need the same huts in the front now on the rears, and you are good to go, there are those who say, hey put longer studs on, Not necessary and the Mil never did it , they just pulled the thimbles and threw em away, Of course we keep ours, the rears will be out just a little more, this is normal.
He didn't say to flip the hubs. He said to flip the rims so that the deep side is facing out. (like the outer wheel on the 11.00's) There was someone in another thread that was asking about flipping hubs on the M923 so all 6 wheels would face the same way.

doolest

all thanks for that clarification....we are considering making the same mod to our m923...got confused the other day when I too read about flipping the hubs on a 5 ton...talked to a guy that installs big rig tires...he didn't think it would be needed just mount them with the shallow side in....he too didn't think there would be a need to replace the studs on the rears either...just don't put the thimbles back on....we are not considering making the mod for the look...although I fully admit i think it looks way cooler....our truck is 100% dedicated to offroad use on a friends ranch where we hunt...the place is 50% covered in sand....we already just had a light case of getting it stuck once...hoping the wider tires will help it "float" on the sand a bit better

goldneagle

all thanks for that clarification....we are considering making the same mod to our m923...got confused the other day when I too read about flipping the hubs on a 5 ton...talked to a guy that installs big rig tires...he didn't think it would be needed just mount them with the shallow side in....he too didn't think there would be a need to replace the studs on the rears either...just don't put the thimbles back on....we are not considering making the mod for the look...although I fully admit i think it looks way cooler....our truck is 100% dedicated to offroad use on a friends ranch where we hunt...the place is 50% covered in sand....we already just had a light case of getting it stuck once...hoping the wider tires will help it "float" on the sand a bit better
I have read in other threads that lowering the tire air pressure will help a lot in sand. If they make beadlocks for the 11.00-20's that will help with the lower air pressure. Even the 14.00-20 have to be run with low air pressure to be effective in sand. Again beadlock would be a good idea with the 14.00-20.

doolest

thanks for the suggestion goldneagle wasn't sure how good that would be on the 11X20's was affraid we might damage the side walls....good news we confirmed the 6X6 worked!!!

wsucougarx

Speaking from my experience. You do not need to flip the hubs. I have my two spares mounted inside the bed. I really like the looks of super singles but the ride isn't all that great. Especially when you compare the ride of a 11.00 truck and a super singled truck. I put 395's on my M923 and if my decision was completely dependant on the ride quality, then I'd be back to the 11.00's. However, the aggressive stance the truck has with supers is why they're still on the truck. I suppose I look at her more than I drive her:0

doolest

i think we are leaning towards the 395's over the 14's...since we will be 100% off road I'm not sure we will get much ride quality either way....the 11X20 did ride well on the 3 miles of pavement I drove it on when it was delivered 2 weeks ago...then spent 4 hours driving it around the ranch...hoping we can get the tires in January and get them on...really hope it helps with the sand!!!!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Diverman when I picked up my 925 it had a ll new G177s on it and of course dual on the rear I traded them all in on a set of 1400 singles on combat wheels, no big deal but a pallet jack is sure nice to lift them onto the hubs, it certainly helps the RPMs but remember the 1400s are rated at only 55 mph but your RPMs are of course lower than with the stock tires, to me the truck looks better and besides making your turning radious bigger I can see no problems. until you get a flat, and YES I have already done that to, all is possible and it was not the end of the world, just very heavy! Good luck and if you convert I believe you will like it a lot!
KK

Csm Davis

Doolest not sure you will like the 14.00 over the 11.00 in the sand I have some time with both on sand and if your truck is going to stay off road I think my choice would be 395's up front and 11.00 duals in back or, 395's or 14.00's all the way around duals in rear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks