Chevrolet 1982 K30 Diesel Dually 6.2l v8 3 Speed automatic -Project-

Isajel

I am currently fixing up my dad's old Chevy 1982 K30 Dually, and I was thinking about upgrading the engine to a modern one but I still need to get a new transmission. So I was wondering if anyone knew a good engine and transmission that would be able to fit in the truck, At the moment I believe it has a GM/Detroit 6.2l v8 Diesel engine, and for the transmission it is a 3 Speed TH400 Transmission, and if it is a modern engine I will have to find some knew circuit board and wiring kit.

dependable

I am currently fixing up my dad's old Chevy 1982 K30 Dually, and I was thinking about upgrading the engine to a modern one but I still need to get a new transmission. So I was wondering if anyone knew a good engine and transmission that would be able to fit in the truck, At the moment I believe it has a GM/Detroit 6.2l v8 Diesel engine, and for the transmission it is a 3 Speed TH400 Transmission, and if it is a modern engine I will have to find some knew circuit board and wiring kit.
Modern engine = modern problems. With a 6.2 and TH 400 is there are no micro chips, circuit boards (not critical to running anyway) or fancy wiring to fail.
Just my two cents.

Mullaney

Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the Outfit!

Post us a few pictures...
That way everybody can see what you are up to :)

Isajel

Modern engine = modern problems. With a 6.2 and TH 400 is there are no micro chips, circuit boards (not critical to running anyway) or fancy wiring to fail.
Just my two cents.
Yeah, I was thinking of that. I would have to get a new circuit board, and wiring. But I am still thinking of upgrading it in the future.

Mullaney

Supporting Vendor
I will soon I don't have my pictures on me so I will have to take some, but it is not in the best state at the moment.
Don't worry about how bad it might look now. We all wear special green glasses that makes anything military look better :cool: . In all seriousness though - having pictures of "where you started" and where you are now (a few months later) will be cool to have.

When I got my first truck, I thought it was in fairly good shape. Then as time marched on, I fixed a few things and shot a little "rattle-can paint and primer here and there. Then I needed to fix and paint some more. Truck still needs a full fledged paint job - but WHAT A DIFFERENCE - comparing when I started to now.

Bet yours will me the same over time.
And, the pictures help keep you motivated when it feels like you haven't accomplished as much as you thought you would.

Isajel

Don't worry about how bad it might look now. We all wear special green glasses that makes anything military look better :cool: . In all seriousness though - having pictures of "where you started" and where you are now (a few months later) will be cool to have.

When I got my first truck, I thought it was in fairly good shape. Then as time marched on, I fixed a few things and shot a little "rattle-can paint and primer here and there. Then I needed to fix and paint some more. Truck still needs a full fledged paint job - but WHAT A DIFFERENCE - comparing when I started to now.

Bet yours will me the same over time.
And, the pictures help keep you motivated when it feels like you haven't accomplished as much as you thought you would.
Ok, I'll send some pictures when I get a chance.

Isajel

I'm currently changing the fuel pump but I ran into a problem. I will need a new fuel line that runs from the filter to the pickup pump- the flarenut is to beat up so I will need to cut the line off. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement?

Attachments

Mullaney

Supporting Vendor
I'm currently changing the fuel pump but I ran into a problem. I will need a new fuel line that runs from the filter to the pickup pump- the flarenut is to beat up so I will need to cut the line off. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement?
Basically the line itself is a steel "brake line". Not sure what the real name for that piece of steel line is, but at a parts house it will be called that. There could be a couple of ideas on fixing the chewed up flarenut. You could cut it off and buy the shortest piece of "brake line" (cheapest) and cut one end off it to replace the bad part. The flare is SPECIAL though. It is called a double flare (sometimes called an inverted flare) and it requires a special tool that flares the line twice.

The tool is available at places like Home Depot, Lowes, NAPA, Northern Tool and a bunch of others. YouTube has bunches of How To videos on properly creating the double flare.

The other choice would be forget the tool and remove the line you have and create the bends and replace your line with the bad end on it...

Isajel

I will be working on the body panels after the fuel pump, I ordered a replacement piece that should work for the flarenut fuel line. I was wondering if I should just bent the metal sheets back together or go for new body panels?

Mullaney

Supporting Vendor
I will be working on the body panels after the fuel pump, I ordered a replacement piece that should work for the flarenut fuel line. I was wondering if I should just bent the metal sheets back together or go for new body panels?
Glad to hear that you found a good fix for the fuel line!

I honestly can't claim any real skill in body work. I have seen several threads on repairing that sheetmetal though. A search for "rocker panels" shows several folks discussing how to make those repairs. Most of my truck body fixes require a wire brush on a grinder...

Isajel

Glad to hear that you found a good fix for the fuel line!

I honestly can't claim any real skill in body work. I have seen several threads on repairing that sheetmetal though. A search for "rocker panels" shows several folks discussing how to make those repairs. Most of my truck body fixes require a wire brush on a grinder...
Ok, thank you for letting me know i'll check it out when I have a chance.

Isajel

A little update so far; I have fixed most of the body panels already. Also have tried online orders twice and they did not fit for the fuel line, so I will be trying to go to fleet farm. I will also be putting the carpet and insulation tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks