• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevy/Ford Body on deuce frame??

Towman2277

Some may not like what i'm going to do, but all to themselves, and this is my Monkey!! :-D I have an extra duece, that runs and operates flawlessly! I'd jump in it and tour the country if someone else would pay for the fuel. The only thing is, I CRAVE to have a "monster mud toy".
I'm going to pull the cab with ***New*** duece hardtop, and bed and sell them! I'm going to find an extended cab late 80's, early 90's Chevy cab, and short bed, and install on the duece. I will be keeping the duece motor, drivetrain,tranny, winch and all. I'll be putting on the 385 Michelins that I have. Now. Lets hear all the good and bad points, and what you think would be the toughest challenge?! :razz:

And for the technical gurus.... I WILL be removing the rear axle, and making it the correct wheel base for the body i choose.

Attachments

IHASFIP

I'm all for offroading so whatever you build I am sure it will be cool, but those tires will be too small for you so you should ummm send them to me :D Good luck and take lots of pics.

D

TBigLug

I think it's a helluva idea. As a matter of fact, I'm working on doing the same thing. Only I want to leave it a 6x6 with a flatbed and a built smallblock with an automatic. One problem I thought about, will that big motor fit in the engine compartment (lengthwise) of a small truck? That's one reasn I wnated to go with a SBC. Also, will you be able to stuff enough radiator in there to keep it cool or are you mounting the rad in the bed? I've lost many a night of sleep over the possibilities of a build of this nature so I have enough food for thought for 10 projects! Make sure to take lots of pictures while you're doing it though so I can pick your brain someday when I get enough parts around to do mine!

Elwenil

It's been done before. I've seen Ford, GM and Dodge cabs put on a Deuce chassis. Most of the time it's with the larger 2 ton front clip for better tire coverage.

mudguppy

go full-hydro steering w/ the PSC kit. then it'll be wicked simple to adapt the steering valve to the steering column that comes with the donor truck. done.

dc3coyote

Ford did this with Columbia, in the 60-70s They used a F650 cab, if I can get Mouse to look for it I will send the info, its from a old Army motors I believe, the same issue that covered Swamp Fox2.
I hope that helps, If I can get the info, I will post pics.

Towman2277

Does anyone have any pics of any swaps?? Any pics would be helpfull. The clutch and pedal assembly, and the coulmn is my only concern so far. I'm using the duece radiator, and will probably lenghthen whatever front end at the fenders.... if I need to.

Towman2277

I've seen that truck, and it looks awesome! It appears that they kept part of the original frame in the pic... or maybe a modified channel body subframe?! I've seen it in a video, and it has a gas burner v-8 by the sound of it. I took some serious measurements today, and that 1977-79 ford full size bodies engine compartment is very close..... I may go with a crew cab Chevy C50-70 series front, and try and find a crew cab to mount, and a modified short bed. :wink:

Flat Black

would be cool to have an F650 or Kodiak cab with the matching bed on a deuce frame, find a wrecked Dodge 2500 and you could even put a real motor in one..

cabs are available here, bed and hood/nose shouldnt be that expensive

HeavyTruckParts.Net - Search for Cab

sure beats the hell out of 100k F650 Crew Cab with a 4WD or 6WD conversion.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been thinking of doing one with an International S-Series cab. There are a lot of them available and they should fit good.

DMgunn

Any progress to report?

I have been thinking of doing one with an International S-Series cab. There are a lot of them available and they should fit good.
I've thought of that too - I had access to a crew cab that would have been great, but it was too far gone rust-wise, and I HATE RUST. Anyway, I think the lines are reminiscent of a HUMVEE (you know, square and flat), only on a very large scale. The 80's front clip would be easy to make more HUMVEE-like. Fab up a small sheetmetal bed, and you would be set. Call it an H2-1/2? Maybe not.

I even drew up a rough sketch of the end result.....now where did I put that...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks