• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civi Intake Resonator install?

erasedhammer

After a fair amount of highway driving, it is pretty evident that these engines without an intake resonator have a pretty loud drone. I may have been too quick to buy a civilian intake resonator that appeared to attached to our intake housings, but it doesn't look like it?

Im pretty sure the bracket I got was bent at the bottom, but I think the holes in the red circles are the ones used for this?
IMG_20201227_172043.jpg

But it appears even if I use those holes, the bracket itself would not line up with the ribs on the resonator, which I assume is where this bracket is supposed to clamp on to. And if I did move the bracket into place, I looks like the part that clamps to the intake housing wouldnt be close enough.
IMG_20201227_172052.jpg

The part that clamps to the intake housing doesn't look wide enough. I tried forcing it on with no luck. This makes me think the civilian diesel intake filter housings had a different shape?
IMG_20201227_172001.jpg
IMG_20201227_172007.jpg

Is there a different civi intake I could put on to match this resonator?
Did the military ever put a full intake plenum on these trucks?

LT67

I have found that mounting the base of the air cleaner to where it draws air from the driver's side reduces the drone. At least it does on my 86 M1008..

nyoffroad

It's been a long LONG time since I had a 6.2 in a civvie truck but IIRC you are missing a short connecting hose between the filter housing and the resonator I also think that the metal mount went to studs on the exhaust manifold. But I could be totally wrong as it was many years ago.

erasedhammer

It's been a long LONG time since I had a 6.2 in a civvie truck but IIRC you are missing a short connecting hose between the filter housing and the resonator I also think that the metal mount went to studs on the exhaust manifold. But I could be totally wrong as it was many years ago.
That does seem likely, It's quite hard to find images of the 6.2 diesel with the resonator.

cucvrus

Nope bracket don't go to the frame. I know that much for sure. That bracket is bent and the exhaust manifold studs was where it was mounted. Skip the bracket and hose clamp it onto the air intake and use a wide long wire tie to attach it to the CDR hose or the alternator bracket. That metal bracket is more trouble than its worth. Good Luck. I have another one of the air mufflers. The hose should go to the core support next to the front battery.

cucvrus

I am thinking back and the bracket may have been mounted to the valve cover studs. that thing is bent all out of whack. Good Luck. Noise is all part of owning and driving a CUCV. It converts diesel fuel into noise. A converter of sort.

erasedhammer

Nope bracket don't go to the frame. I know that much for sure. That bracket is bent and the exhaust manifold studs was where it was mounted. Skip the bracket and hose clamp it onto the air intake and use a wide long wire tie to attach it to the CDR hose or the alternator bracket. That metal bracket is more trouble than its worth. Good Luck. I have another one of the air mufflers. The hose should go to the core support next to the front battery.
Sounds good, didn't want the bracket if I didn't need it.
I'll try and get the piece slotted over the filter housing.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am thinking back and the bracket may have been mounted to the valve cover studs. that thing is bent all out of whack. Good Luck. Noise is all part of owning and driving a CUCV. It converts diesel fuel into noise. A converter of sort.
Rick - a noise converter? LOL ! C’mon man.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick,

You have a civvy snorker... :unsure: Are you off this week?

nyoffroad

Mounting on the valve cover studs does kinda ring a faint bell.

erasedhammer

I am having one hell of a time finding an oval to round adapter.

Its a 3" round for sure, but the oval is a 2x4" which apparently just doesn't exist. Anyone find a proper adapter? Link to it?

IMG_20220402_160607.jpg
IMG_20220402_160334.jpg
IMG_20220402_160326.jpg

erasedhammer

Try the plumbing department at a hardware store. They have the rubber adapters that will fit.
You and I have very different hardware stores around us. Home depot and lowes around here have the crappiest selection of rubber adapters. Could barely find a normal circular one.

cucvrus

Fernco makes all sorts of rubber reduction connections. I have ACE the friendly hardware place right down the road from me. They get me whatever I need. Keep in mind a cheap repair is just that. CHEAP. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks