• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clarkston Solar project.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To keep this MV related just 1 of these panels will keep any 24v battery bank fully charged with a diversion load going to the engine block as a heater. This process starts at 26.5vdc.

I have been involved in this solar project for a client with more money than ("BB") Netanyahu. There are 4224 solar panels. 240 watts @ 8.64a.
The system is configured in 2 separate rows of 11 Each row has 192 panels for a total of 22 rows.

The total watts to produce is 101.376 @ 36,326.4 amps. This is a zone 3 application so we are installing Micro inverters run in parallel from each panel to the combiner boxes. The micro inverters boast a 10-15% increase in power production, I am skeptical but we will see. In zone 3 there is only 100% good sunlight for 5-6 hours then a 18% drop per hour past peak time.

The total system to prep, pre wire, pour, frame and install cost over 3.4 million dollars.:shock: This system is a grid feeder and is a private system. Under Michigan Law the power is sold back to the utility company at current Commercial rates.

The system will pay for it's self in 19 months. Do the math. After 19 months and for at least 15-20 years its all profit. There is no property taxes since its a utility.

Now hows that for a good business sence..?:)

Attachments

Last edited:

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking of mounting one of those panels to cover a S280 shlter that I will be buying for my truck. Now I just need a shelter to get the project going.

jeeplvr247

That is not a bad pay back time. I would love to get involved in solar and stick it to the DTE power but I do not have the start up cash for even just a few panels.

jeeplvr247

It always seems easier for people to reach deep into pockets that are not theirs. I should screw my graduate school and go into politics!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The State of Michigan must be by Law 10% dependent on renewable power by 2015 and 20% by 2025 The government hands out grants to get the projects installed as per law.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Toady we hooked up the combiner boxes to the grid tie inverters. There was a small snafu in the inverter so I had to break down the unit and replace a series of fuses due to the fact they are not polarity friendly. Somme azzhole decided to hook up the bond ground and the DC negative to the same port. They are made to be installed separated by a series of 600vdc diodes for safety.

The entire system will go on line on Wednesday after the local power company's approval. Pics to follow.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I would like to line the entire roof of my shop with solar panels, being in Ga. should put me in a good solar zone, how much power could I make off a 4080 sqft roof? As small as my power bill is I should be able to sell back a good bit to the power company. I just don't know where to start to make it happen.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
C1, I am not the property owner. But, If I had an inheritance I would do the same thing. All it takes it space and money.

Doc Morgan, I have seen your new shop when you bought it a few years ago, then you did the camo paint job. If thats the same shop roof. You may have to many trees around your Lz. You might have to trim out a few trees facing south.

Just off the cuff and with out the exact measurements of your shop roof I would guess @ 4000 sq ft your looking at approx 60-68 panels a side. Off the above data plate/picture you can do the math. I am not even guessing what your commercial rate is in Ga. Here in Michigan there are 2 rates Residential and Commercial. You also get a "GREEN PROPERTY" property tax credit. So the building Sq would be removed off the tax bill, Hint put a few on the roof of your house and out buildings, :shock:

You would have to go to your local utility and get the grid tie info package. They only pay you once a year. You will never get a bill only a KWH usage per month. They will calculate what you have used and what you have produced and put back out on the grid then you get a check annually.

IMHO, I would install an additional battery back up fed by the panels and do a diversion load to heat your DHW Domestic hot water. Squeeze all you can to live independently. God gave us the sun its free so use it to your advantage. There are good deals on the frame work, panels and inverters everywhere. Good luck if you decide to go for it.

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either they've greatly exaggerated the ROI or the electric company has been robbing us blind for years!

I would say the data plate says it all and IMHO they have been robbing us blind, where else would you go for power. It's like there is a monopoly and you pay what they say you owe. Think about it, they have their hands in everyones pocket. EVERYONE pays them. They will charge what they want to. I hated being a slave to Edison.

Investor owned utilities have their rates regulated by the Public Service Commission (PSC). EMC's and Electric Cities do not fall under the same regulations. Typically there are two rates provided by all electric utilities, residential and commercial; sometimes industrial as well. There are also wholesale power rates for when energy is exchanged, like any other commodity, between utilities. Generally, the problem with supplemental solar systems (a few panels on the roof to minimize what you need to buy from the power company) is that you sell electricity at a much lower rate than you are forced to buy it at. I would not consider this a supplemental solar project. However, for a 19 month ROI, there must be one heck of a great wholesale electric rate in that area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks