• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold weather and no start.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
X2

Battery's are low and need charged.

That pic shows nothing.
Your voltmeter should show the status of the battery’s.

n8roro

The dash lights don't come on. The aux light does when I turn the headlight knob.

I have a portable jumper. I would connect that to the front battery correct?

sandcobra164

Please clarify what "nothing" means. Is the starter engaging but the truck is failing to fire off or is the starter not engaging at all? 12.35 volts is roughly 70% of where it should be, ideally you'd be showing 12.8 open circuit voltage. Having said that, I charged mine recently and both showed 70% on my smart charger when first connected. The truck started fine and has been run a decent amount recently. I tend to charge my batteries with a charger twice a year whether they need it or not. I got 10 years of service out of a pair of Hawker 6TAGM's in my Deuce, 9 years out of a standard lead acid battery in my Trans Am. It's a good maintenance practice as the alternators do not always keep them topped off like you would expect. Low state of charge is the death of a good battery.

n8roro

By nothing I mean the only effect of turning the key is the two lights on the photo I posed lighting up (temp and Brake). No solenoid thud, and no starter engaging, just quiet. This happened the other morning and when I tried in the afternoon it started right up.

Thanks for the help guys. I need to move the thing for street cleaning tomorrow morning.

n8roro

I was checking voltage at the purple wire with a white stripe to the black wire in the starter relay and it started up. Did I jump it or is did it just start on it's own?

5a fuse was loose so that was the dash light issue.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have two vehicles and two sets of jumper cables? Jump start the truck. As long as your batteries are not totally dead, and it doesn't sound like it, it should start. Then, move the truck to a location where you can troubleshoot/charge/replace/repair.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you ever get it running again just leave it run.
She was designed to do that.
Inspect everything while running.

Let Her run for a week or two while you watch.
It is a tactical military vehicle for war, She is not a Chevy

n8roro

It did start up and is in the garage now. It started while I tried to test for voltage on the starter relay purple/white wire. I let it run and then went to the store and left it running, so it ran for more than an hour. After dinner and it started right up with no wait light. I'll check the battery voltages and try to start it again in the morning. Is there a temp sensor that won't let it start if it is too cold? If not I guess I'll get a couple new batteries.

Any battery recommendations?

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

It is a tactical military vehicle for war, She is not a Chevy

*sigh*

It's a Chevy. A standard, off-the-shelf 1984 Chevy pickup with a very few minor military wrinkles, the biggest of which is the 24v/12v hybrid starting & GP system. Add a few lights, an interesting set of bumpers, and that's about it. The only thing "tactical" about it is the paint job and the BO lights.

It's a Chevy.

It did start up and is in the garage now. It started while I tried to test for voltage on the starter relay purple/white wire. I let it run and then went to the store and left it running, so it ran for more than an hour. After dinner and it started right up with no wait light. I'll check the battery voltages and try to start it again in the morning. Is there a temp sensor that won't let it start if it is too cold? If not I guess I'll get a couple new batteries.

Any battery recommendations?
One recommendation: diagnose the problem, first. There's no reason it shouldn't start at 28 degrees.

Last edited:

n8roro

I'm working on it. The batteries were at 12.7 each this morning and it started up with no hesitation so I don't think the batteries are the issue. I dropped the starter relay to test for voltage yesterday and it is still dangling. Weather was only slightly warmer today so I'm guessing tempermental relay or bad connections. Ordered the relay for the doghead mod since it's only 15 bucks. The only other thing I can think of is a loose wire somewhere in the starting circuit. That and I have not resolved the withe the gen 2 lighton the dash not lighting before startup.

MarcusOReallyus

I'm guessing tempermental relay or bad connections. Ordered the relay for the doghead mod since it's only 15 bucks. The only other thing I can think of is a loose wire somewhere in the starting circuit.
Sounds reasonable. Intermittent problems are the toughest to diagnose.

Wouldn't hurt to clean up your grounds. The starter relay should ground to a 6-positon grounding tab mounted up above your parking brake mechanism. Wouldn't hurt to give it a good cleaning and a light coat of dielectric grease.

n8roro

Thank you! I was wondering what was supposed to use that ground terminal. There was nothing there when I got the truck, and I have been using it to add accessories. I will trace the starter relay ground to see where it goes.

As a side question there is a cut wire that comes out from behind the fuse box that is black with a white stripe and looks to be 14ga. I think it was for the seat belt buzzer which was disabled by a previous owner. Can anyone confirm that is what the wire is?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the batteries are a little low, the starter will turn the engine a little slower. When its a little cold, & especially when the engine has some mileage on it & piston/ring wear, the compression won't be quite up to snuff, & its a little cold too. All subtles. It will often not start. Change any of the above back & it will often take care of the problem. (12.15V is considered a dead battery).

sneekyeye

I have a blackwire with white stripe that is supposed to go to my seat belt on my m1028 wrapped in a loop tucked near my fuse box as well. Probably what you have cut

n8roro

Thanks Marcus, I value your advice. I did see the starter ground bolted to the frame at the 6 tab ground.

Thanks sneekyeye that makes me feel better.

Roscoe, thanks for the input. The starter was not engaging at all. On morning no starter or engine noise at all when I turn the key. Later on in the day it started right up. The other day same thing, then I dropped the relay and poked around and it has started ever since.

MarcusOReallyus

It sounds like the relay may have had some build-up on the contacts, and you broke it loose. I always hate it when a problem fixes itself, because you never know when it's going to pop up again, but... sometimes, you just have to keep an eye on it and hope it stays fixed.

Since you've done (or are going to do?) the doghead relay, that should take care of it if it was a bum relay.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
*sigh*
It's a Chevy. A standard, off-the-shelf 1984 Chevy pickup with a very few minor military wrinkles, the biggest of which is the 24v/12v hybrid starting & GP system. Add a few lights, an interesting set of bumpers, and that's about it. The only thing "tactical" about it is the paint job and the BO lights. It's a Chevy.
As seen in the rest of the world it'll get tactical real fast with mah Deuce mounted in the back. Maybe heavy enough for 20MM.

LT67

Just curious, does your truck have the 12 volt conversion?

22 degrees this morning and my M1008 fired right up. Lol, it took longer to unfreeze the doors so I could get into it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks