• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold Weather / Arctic Cover

aleigh

Rusty's thread asking around about the deuce arctic cover got me thinking. I have a NOS grill cover for my M1078 I got from somewhere. Maybe superman, I don't know. Anyways the thing has some grommet holes towards the corners and button snaps everywhere and otherwise no obvious way to attach it to the truck. I put it on a shelf and forgot about it, but now I am once again wondering, how does this thing attach, what's missing.

I scoured the TM and found no mention of it for the A0, but I did discover that apparently there's a radiator cover that goes on the radiator itself (you tip the cab to install it). Apparently - here's the shocker - apparently you are supposed to install this thing at 40 degrees and colder. I wonder how this relates to people's hard shifting complaints in cold weather, since the Allison has a cooler up in the radiator pack. I wouldn't mind seeing or making one of those covers, as a total tangent. The drawings in the TM are pretty vague.

Either way I realized that the grill cover (that goes on the outside) is probably from the A1. I dug up the -10 and sure enough it's mentioned there. Mentioned that if you need one, you need to ... call unit maintenance! facepalm. The unit level books apparently have not surfaced and are classified/restricted (please do not be pedantic) to not the general public.

So anyways, anyone know about these things? What about the suggestion the radiator needs a woobie under 40?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The over-the-radiator cover is in the TM somewhere. You take out two bolts on the sides of the radiator, and reinstall them through the grommets of the cover (with the cover on the front). Then on the bottom you do the same thing (two bolts, grommets, reinstall bolts), except the bottom also has the straps.

The "hard shifting" problems are only mildly related. It's 7 degrees outside today, and without the cover the problem is that the truck will never warm up (except maybe under hard hauling conditions). The truck shifts harder until it warms up, of course.

The reason the A1 manuals haven't surfaced is because they don't exist, at least not like you're thinking. With the A1's they switched to these interactive software things, so it's not just a 1000-page paper manual (or PDF thereof). I imagine the software needs a license or something to make it work.

snowtrac nome

as for covering your radiator you realize your atfter cooler will be defeated if you want it to warm up install cat part number 119-3075 cat calls it a regulator but it's your thermostat

aleigh

The A1 -10 exists as a PDF. Just not the rest. Sooner or later someone will print them to PDF from whatever magical software they dwell in I suppose.

Awesomeness, it sounds like you have the radiator cover? Where'd you get it? Do you have a picture?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked it up from someone on here, but they are on eBay too. I don't have a picture, because it's installed on the truck at the moment (you can't really take a picture of it either, when installed).

aleigh

Ah sure enough. Now I have a rad cover on the way. Still a mystery how the grill cover goes on. I am imagining some kind of unobtanium straps that go... somewhere

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks