• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Colorado Bill SB19-054 RE: (Former) Military Vehicle Motor Vehicle Regulation

diego127

We have the same thing going on in North Dakota...All my military vehicles have pioneer plates which are regular DOT vehicle tags. This year i purchased a M1097R1 Hmmwv and was told I could not register it as a regular truck. According to ND, as of last year October, all Military vehicles are rated as Off Highway vehicles with an ATV small plate. There reasoning is that most of the military vehicles cannot exceed 55 Miles per hour and they can not be driven on any state Highway..I E Hwy 94 or 29 in North Dakota. I am allowed to drive with (motor vehicle insurance as a regular vehicle according to DOT standards) in city or rural or non highway (eg.Hwy 83 , Bismarck to Minot) which is allowed. My Military vehicles exceed 55 MPH but I believe that the far right in my opinion is trying to discourage patriotic citizens from owning and preserving military historical items. For the other voting members in the Nd state legislature I believe it is plain ignorance of the fact that when putting a Military truck next to a golf cart size vehicle and rating them the same..is either intentional discouragement or just plain ignorance.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have the same thing going on in North Dakota...All my military vehicles have pioneer plates which are regular DOT vehicle tags. This year i purchased a M1097R1 Hmmwv and was told I could not register it as a regular truck. According to ND, as of last year October, all Military vehicles are rated as Off Highway vehicles with an ATV small plate. There reasoning is that most of the military vehicles cannot exceed 55 Miles per hour and they can not be driven on any state Highway..I E Hwy 94 or 29 in North Dakota. I am allowed to drive with (motor vehicle insurance as a regular vehicle according to DOT standards) in city or rural or non highway (eg.Hwy 83 , Bismarck to Minot) which is allowed. My Military vehicles exceed 55 MPH but I believe that the far right in my opinion is trying to discourage patriotic citizens from owning and preserving military historical items. For the other voting members in the Nd state legislature I believe it is plain ignorance of the fact that when putting a Military truck next to a golf cart size vehicle and rating them the same..is either intentional discouragement or just plain ignorance.
Did I understand you correctly? You feel that the far right (as in conservatives) are preventing patriotic citizens from owning and preserving historical military items? That does not seem like a conservative position. More likely they received information indicating that HMMWV owners were trying an end around with off-road use only titles. While many trucks come out with on-road titles these days, there was a time when most of the HMMWVs coming out were marked for off-road use only. Because of this, they tended to go fairly cheaply, which prompted people to see if they could figure out ways to title/tag for on-road use their previously off-road use only vehicles. I am not commenting on that practice. I know that many states have done just as you are experiencing and much of it comes back to the off-road use only titled HMMWVs (and other trucks are caught up in that net).

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did I understand you correctly? You feel that the far right (as in conservatives) are preventing patriotic citizens from owning and preserving historical military items? That does not seem like a conservative position. More likely they received information indicating that HMMWV owners were trying an end around with off-road use only titles. While many trucks come out with on-road titles these days, there was a time when most of the HMMWVs coming out were marked for off-road use only. Because of this, they tended to go fairly cheaply, which prompted people to see if they could figure out ways to title/tag for on-road use their previously off-road use only vehicles. I am not commenting on that practice. I know that many states have done just as you are experiencing and much of it comes back to the off-road use only titled HMMWVs (and other trucks are caught up in that net).
The fact that the military uses them on interstate highways all the time and always have makes that argument about being off road completely null and void.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
So far in Wyoming, my trucks can be registered/titled just like any other truck on the road. I chose to go with Pioneer tags because the only things I do with them is show them off in parades and outdoor displays. I hope and pray all these newcomers to the state mind their own business and leave the rest of us alone. I don’t care where a person comes from, just what they’re going to do to our great state. If they like the way their previous states ran, they just need to go back.
Just my 2 cents.

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to catch you up on facts, CO government is as FAR LEFT as California. They're using "vehicle safety" as an excuse to attack conservative voters, all while the same damn Military vehicles are driving up and down I25 at 75mph!. Those are the people in government banning and vacating registrations in Colorado. Seems kinda weird that you think "far right" people are doing this, in any state. But maybe ND is dyslexic and far right means far left over there?🤷🏻‍♂️, maybe a New Democrat tactic?

And for the record there are no left wing "patriotic citizens" in 2024, that term is eschewed by everyone voting for Harris, openly on MSM, social media and print media. Democrats all fly HAMAS flags now while burning the U.S. flag. Those are the facts.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
So far in Wyoming, my trucks can be registered/titled just like any other truck on the road. I chose to go with Pioneer tags because the only things I do with them is show them off in parades and outdoor displays. I hope and pray all these newcomers to the state mind their own business and leave the rest of us alone. I don’t care where a person comes from, just what they’re going to do to our great state. If they like the way their previous states ran, they just need to go back.
Just my 2 cents.
The trend for people leaving blue states into red states is to enact the same stupid rules they left behind. I truly believe it is an agenda to turn the major cities of red states blue which eventually turns the vote.
These title laws are very unlikely to revert . My personal solution was to get my LMTV registered and titled as an RV from the beginning. I believe that secures it in most any state if I chose to relocate.