• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Command Cars of Fieldmarschal Erwin Rommel

Another Ahab

Searched some and don't believe this thread is a duplicate, but glad to be corrected:

- Ran across some photos of a major piece of rolling hardware that apparently was a Command Vehicle used by Rommel with the Afrikakorps

- Thought originally it was German, but discover it was captured and re-purposed British.

Thought it might interest somebody else as much as me, and throwing it out there to see if anybody might happen to be an authority on the subject:

Command Car III.jpg Rommel's Rides.jpg Command Car I.jpg

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yep, it was Brit. AEC if I remember correctly.

He also used an SdKfz-250/3 as his mobile command platform. The AEC I would consider akin to his forward CP.

The ultimate small command vehicle has to go to Kurt "Panzer" Meyer for his mobile command platform being a motorcycle.

Another Ahab

Wouldn't it be more of a Command Truck? I always see those long open Mercedes as command cars used by the Nazis.

He also used an SdKfz-250/3 as his mobile command platform. The AEC I would consider akin to his forward CP.

The ultimate small command vehicle has to go to Kurt "Panzer" Meyer for his mobile command platform being a motorcycle.
Understanding that he used all kinds of various vehicles as Command "Cars" throughout the Africa Campaign:

- Including one like that below

- But not sure if that is Italian, British, or German in origin

Evidently both British and German units readily made use of each others' captured equipment. Reading somewhere that even Rommel's signature "sand" goggles were a British-issue item.

Here's the Command Car:

Rommel- Command Car.jpg

Another Ahab

The AEC

Checked, and (naturally) you're on the money CARNAC:

- Designated the AEC Dorchester (4x4) "Mammoth" (German: Mammut)

Must have been some kind of "cozy" in that sucker under a desert sun.

Here's a couple of better images for it:

AEC I.jpg AEC II.jpg

Last edited:

Al Harvey

Dang I was trying to remember the name of it. I believe his goggles came off the dash of Mammut and he when he found them he said something about the spoils of war or war trophies. I can't remember and can't find it right now. It's amazing how much friendly equipment was used by "enemies" on both sides.

More Info: I couldn't find that they came from the Mammut, but the goggles did come from the command car of [FONT=Georgia, Times, Times New Roman, Serif] British General Richard O’Connor.. He was quoted with saying "Booty is [FONT=Georgia, Times, Times New Roman, Serif]permissible I assume; even for a general".[/FONT][/FONT]

Also when the Germans captured the Mammut or Mammoth. They renamed the one he used "Moritz" after characters in a childrens book. Here is a good link with some photos. I studied Rommel for a while, but I still find myself learning, or maybe just forgetting things. lol

http://deutsches-afrikakorps.blogspot.com/2010/12/rommels-command-cars.html

Last edited:

Al Harvey

2mammuts.jpg

Picture comes across small but this is suppose to be right after it's capture and before they painted "Moritz" on it. They just painted the German markings over the British markings.

Al Harvey

Well one source that I found says that one of them was from O'Conner and could be the one where the goggles came from. Haven't found a great credible source but one (http://www.oocities.org/firefly1002000/mammuts.html) states the three captured AECs came from:

These HQ vehicles originally belonged to:
1. Lt.Gen. Sir Richard O'Connor, assistant commander of the 8th Army.
2. Lt.Gen. Sir Philip Neams VC, commander of the 8th Army.
3. Maj.Gen. Gambier-Parry, commander of 2nd Armd.Div. by 3rd Reconnaissance unit of DAK.

Another Ahab

SdKfz-250/3. The frame on top is a HF antenna.
Wondered about that:

- Because only saw one photo with that "frame" covered with a fabric canopy

And you had to figure if it was meant to be a canopy frame why wasn't it used that way more regularly?

Now, it all makes sense.

Sunscreen.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Thanks 123, your link here is an excellent summary of the Fieldmarschal's vehicles.

Here's a couple more shots (below) of the Sd kfz 250/3 showing additional detail, and the radio operator set-up.

Also, check out the weapon stored on the bulkhead behind the radio operator, looks like some kind of heavy machine gun; nice looking piece of hardware:

Rommel Sd Kfz V.jpg Rommel Sd Kfz Radio.jpg Rommel Sd Kfz I.jpg

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor

Another Ahab

SdKfz-250/3. The frame on top is a HF antenna.
What's with the drop at the front of the antenna?

Seen another rubber-tired WWI German APV somewhere with a similar down-turned antenna:

- Any HAMS or radioheads here to explain that?

View attachment 524459
My first thought was for low hanging power lines but I would think it would have more of a sloap for that.

Here's a photo of the other APV I was talking about:

Radio II.jpg

Another Ahab

QUOTE=Another Ahab;1623345]Understanding that he used all kinds of various vehicles as Command "Cars" throughout the Africa Campaign:

- Including one like that below

- But not sure if that is Italian, British, or German in origin

Evidently both British and German units readily made use of each others' captured equipment. Reading somewhere that even Rommel's signature "sand" goggles were a British-issue item.

Here's the Command Car:

Rommel- Command Car.jpg

[/QUOTE]
For the record, the vehicle was called the Steyr 1500A Kommandeurwagen.

I like that about the German language, if you need a word for something you just plain go ahead and string the whole description together into a bundle, and -bingo- you got your word:

Rommel Steyr.jpg

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Here's a photo of the other APV I was talking about:

View attachment 524532
That is a SdKfz-263 which came equipped with a MG34 machine gun in the front of the fixed turret. There was a similar armored car with a rotating turret equipped with a 20mm KwK30 or 38 and one coax MG34 known as the SdKfz232 (8rad). One without the large antenna with the rotating turret was a SdKfz231.

The 263 had a Sarz Funkgerat fur Pz Funktrupp b and was used by the signal det for motorized and panzer divisions, corps and army HQs. Intent was to us it as a mobilie communications network base. There were approximately 240 produced from April 1938 to April 1943.

Another Ahab

What's with the drop at the front of the antenna?

Seen another rubber-tired WWI German APV somewhere with a similar down-turned antenna:

- Any HAMS or radioheads here to explain that?

Radio II.jpg Rommel sd kfz-Radio.jpg
That is a SdKfz-263

The 263 had a Sarz Funkgerat fur Pz Funktrupp b and was used by the signal det for motorized and panzer divisions, corps and army HQs. Intent was to us it as a mobilie communications network base. There were approximately 240 produced from April 1938 to April 1943.
You know your stuff CARNAC, always impressive.

Guessing that the Sarz Funkgerat is a radio set of some kind.

Got any idea about the antenna drops/ droops?

I like to know. Must be a radio signal thing; bugs me when I don't know what it's all about.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks