• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Commercial availablity of HMMWV Tires?

nattieleather

Hi, I've been researching the 37x12.5Rx16.5 tire and it seems that nobody is making that size tire anymore. It is either a 16 inch or it seems that everyone has stepped up to 17 inch. Other than used tires which I would think would dry up over time (ok maybe in 20 years who knows) is there a source of commercial hmmwv tires?

I'm thinking of using this size tire on a project truck that I'm working on since it has 16.5 inch rims allready and I'm wondering about the long term availablity of this tire size. If what I read was wrong then point me in the right direction. If I'm correct what is everyone planning on doing in the future?

Thanks,
Joe

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, I've been researching the 37x12.5Rx16.5 tire and it seems that nobody is making that size tire anymore. It is either a 16 inch or it seems that everyone has stepped up to 17 inch. Other than used tires which I would think would dry up over time (ok maybe in 20 years who knows) is there a source of commercial hmmwv tires?

I'm thinking of using this size tire on a project truck that I'm working on since it has 16.5 inch rims allready and I'm wondering about the long term availablity of this tire size. If what I read was wrong then point me in the right direction. If I'm correct what is everyone planning on doing in the future?

Thanks,
Joe
Have you checked Sam Winer Motors in Akron? I think they had new 16.5's available when I was there picking up some parts recently.
Call them at 330-628-4881 and ask for Robert Zetzer.

Truckoholic

Yeah I used to have a chevy suburban that I put those 37 12.50 16.5 HMMWV tires on.

I also had a 76 GMC pickup that had 16.5 inch rims, and I got a flat one time and went in to a very big tire place (Les Schwab), turns out the tire could not be repaired so I was told I needed a new tire, however they did not stock 16.5 inch tires anymore, because they did not make them anymore. So I ended up having to drive all the way home on my spare, and had to switch over to all 16 inch rims just so I could continue to buy tires for that stupid truck.

So yeah, you are right. Sure there are probably plenty of new old stock 16.5 tires out there..........for now. But when they run out, it looks like the 16.5 is probably not going to have very long term availability. Since there were so many of those HMMWV tires made, those probably will last quite a while, but who knows.

Here's my Suburban. This is when I still had my Super Swamper TSL's on it, before they wore out and I put the HMMWV tires on it. I can't find a pic of it with the other tires dang it.

suburan1.jpg

battlebuggy

The GoodYear plant that is making the 16.5 inch 37 Wrangler MT HMMWV tire is working 2 shifts straight out producing these tires. There are making a ton of them but they are just barely filling the Gov't contracts. There are not any making it out to civy channels. For now. I understand BF Goodrich s also now building a 37" Radial designed for the HMMWV to compete for the contracts also in 16.5.

Last edited:

nattieleather

@OL AG'89 did a search that's how I found out that nobody is manufacturing 16.5 inch tires anymore for public sale. Not Goodyear Goodrich etc etc. Most offroad companies now suggest going to a 17 inch rim. So though I work with computers everyday I'm not the best web searchers I thought I would ask if anyone knew of a source. Not looking for advertisors just wanted to see if I missed something. So just sayin' that I did search otherwise I would not have disturbed you with this post!

@patracy - link does not seem to be working.

To everyone else. Thank you.

ranchhopper

No attitude intended I was just reading two locked threads that were closed for ads not posted in the classifieds just wondering why this wasnt given the same outcome.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Difference is, those were blatant ads. (I've got a blow engine for sale for $2000, for example) I never posted a price in the forum, just passed along my link.

Tanner

Interco is still making Swampers, Mudders, etc., in a 16.5" size, as is Nankang Tire, Pit Bull tire, and others... tires for 16.5" rims are going to be around for quite awhile longer...

Pit Bull - offers bias and radial tires in 37"-38.5" x 16.5" sizes - http://pitbulltires.com/downloads/PBSPEC2.pdf

Nankang 870 - fitment especially designed for HUMMER 16.5" size - Nankang N870 Military Radial LT

Slightly larger from Interco: 39.5x13.50-16.5LT - IROK | Interco Tire

etc...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you're a listed vendor. why can't you say you have what a member needs?

note: this is advocacy that you CAN do it, if it isn't clear.
You can certainly say you have something a member needs, but just no pricing in posts. It tends to lead to conflicts.

3dAngus

Difference is, those were blatant ads. (I've got a blow engine for sale for $2000, for example) I never posted a price in the forum, just passed along my link.
Good Lord people, he's the administrator for crying out loud. He shouldn't have to answer to anyone on this kind of thing. The OP asked the question, he answered it.

In any case, for all the work he had done and commited this site, why would you NOT want to give a Mod or an Admin a little bit of lattitude. They do deserve some priviledges, so long as it is in good taste, of course. If not in good taste, I'll be all over them myself. No problem. Rare it happens.

Has no one heard the term, "Rank has it's priviledges"?

All I ask for, is, do it in good taste. It's been done, and done well. Out!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'll stop placing any links to my site in posts since it's an issue. I'd rather be black or white, not gray when it comes to things.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks