• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Connector to HMMWV 200 amp umbilical !!NOT slave cable plug!!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(edited) To clear up the confusion, this post is me trying to share the part numbers I found related to the umbilical cable plug in the rear passenger footwell of the heavy variant HMMWVs (M1097, M1123) for anyone that might be looking for them. I found part numbers, and listed them below, as well as links to sites that list having those parts in stock.
Hopefully this helps someone else, as I spent many good hours looking for this plug before finding some with cut off cables on ebay (of which I bought both available, and I don't see any more).
(end edit)

(second edit) Here is a link to a site showing pricing and availability through multiple venders. Part is listed as coming with pins on at least one of the vender sites. This is only for the plug body, not the cable strain relief that attaches to the rear of the plug
(end second edit)

So searching here didn't turn up much, I've been looking for a while for the part numbers for the plug that will attach to the 200 amp umbilical.
Here is the umbilical in question (This part came installed in my M1123, just posting it here for reference.)

I finally managed to find a couple on Ebay, but they had the cables cut off very short, too short to splice the wires I have into it.
Part numbers the seller had listed for the connector were GlenAir #06324, M85049/52-1-32W, MS3417-32A.

The GlenAir number doesn't seem to come up as anything (only real hit was the ebay sale), the other two numbers one shows up as the part below, other doesn't come up as anything in a quick search.
M85049/52-1-32W Amphenol PCD | APM85049/52-1-32W-ND DigiKey Electronics

The ones I bought had a part number on them of MS3456W32-1P which brings up this item
(the image they used is generic for the series, not this specific plug)
I don't actually know everything that this particular part number comes with, so I don't know if it has the pins inside of it or not.

For mine I need to order new contact pins, so I disassembled one of the two I bought and took a look at it. Found the pin contact has a color code on it, finally tracked down that code to this part:
Amphenol Aerospace M39029/29-216

It's sized for 2-0 gauge cable.
The cable on the plug and on the BEOD I'm putting this connector on is 1-0 gauge.
To use with 1-0 gauge there is a bushing kit to reduce the size so that it will crimp in properly. (no picture for it)

Here are a couple pics of the ones I bought.
s-l500.jpgs-l500 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
You want the "MALE" cable end?? Fits into the vehicle slave connector. Big as heck. The one that fits into figure "15" in your drawing?

Trying to figure it out, CAMO

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want the "MALE" cable end?? Fits into the vehicle slave connector. Big as heck. The one that fits into figure "15" in your drawing?

Trying to figure it out, CAMO
This isn't a slave cable. This one goes out the back of the battery box into the cargo area for things like commo shelters and whatnot to be plugged in, instead of having to be hardwired to the batteries.

Here is what the old slave cables look like for anyone that doesn't know. Larger diameter, and not designed to be permanently installed.
387b1a6f4c442ddd02421887a566a67add558bc0-1.jpg
387b1a6f4c442ddd02421887a566a67add558bc0-2.jpg

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My BooBoo. So you want the two pin old style slave type?

See to the left. Boo Boo Bear, CAMO
No, I was just sharing what I found concerning the plug that attaches to the umbilical that is installed in some of the trucks. I know I've spent hours finding the numbers for what I needed, then actually finding sources for them. I lucked out and found the connector itself on ebay for cheap (and bought both the ones I found there) and thought I'd share the contact pins that someone would need to order if they found themselves in the same situation as me. Hopefully it saves someone else a few hours and the associated stress.

Reactions: 98G

papakb

Do an online search for "NATO connectors" and you'll get a number of them rated all the way from low amp models for radios and accessories all the way up to the full, high current models. There's plenty of them out there. The model you want for the HMMWV are the coaxial style and not the older 2 pin style.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do an online search for "NATO connectors" and you'll get a number of them rated all the way from low amp models for radios and accessories all the way up to the full, high current models. There's plenty of them out there. The model you want for the HMMWV are the coaxial style and not the older 2 pin style.

This was NOT about slave cables. This is about the plug for the umbilical that goes to any type of shelter or body installed in the back of the HMMWV.
It took me a little while of searching just to find the right terms to bring up the connector I found, it's not a "Nato" standard like the slave cable as far as I can tell. I can't even find anywhere else it's used.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
!!!!! slow it a bit !!! That and how it is known ( commonly ) is the OLD 50's up, two pin power cable. (Not NATO) That DOESN'T mean it is a slave / jumper cable, BUT it found a LOT ! (mostly all) use for that purpose on M38A1, M37 and others. So you have one on the back of your battery box. Probably did power a shelter, spot light, rocket launcher, lazer death beam your guess is ??? From the pictures it should be an easy find with fat wires not cut to short. Plenty out there. Had them on my older trucks stated above.

connector.jpgcable.jpg

About five years late in looking, as I had some. Weighed a ton at the scrapper.

Potatoe, Patatoe, CAMO

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't believe this is the same connector. It is smaller in diameter.

The OP is looking for the one behind the passenger seat coming out of the battery box. It is optional equipment only used on shelter carriers and maybe special purpose set ups for radio, radar and such.
Maybe contact , ambulance, and edo trucks had them also.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, so here is the old slave cable plug next to the cable end I am talking about. Hopefully side by side it shows how different they are. More pins, different pin placement, and slip fit vs threaded retainer.
621ea4cc22538e9566a731531ce8d44639274aab-1.jpg
621ea4cc22538e9566a731531ce8d44639274aab-2.jpg

Reactions: 98G

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, but no, that is not it. (that's a tiny connector, and only $7. The actual connector is about $200 for everything)

I listed all the part numbers up in my original post that I was able to figure out. The plug itself is one, the cable retainer was another. After that was replacement pin contact numbers for anyone in the same situation as me that they bought a used connector and need to wire it to something.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter

It looks like they have them all the way up to 2.7 inches.
Yes, it is in the correct series of plugs, but it is not the correct plug. I have already linked the correct plug in my original post.
the -14 at the end of the part number is the diameter in mm. The correct plug ends in 32-1p, so 32mm across with insert #1.

Both the one you linked and the one I posted originally are part of the Matrix 5105 series. As I said, the one you linked is a plug in the same overall series, but is not the correct plug for this application. I am trying to keep people from being confused by making sure they know which is the correct one.

page 5 of the below document shows the 3456 subset of the series.

Page 10 of this excerpt (or page 441 as listed on the bottom of the pages) has the pin layout for the 32-1 insert of the 5015 series Crimp Rear Release Matrix plug family.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So last night I ordered 4 of the contact pins and 4 reducer bushings through the Mouser website. I paid for 2 day fedex freight. I'm west coast, so to me this says, if they hurry up the order, I should get it by end of day Friday.
This morning got an email with the shipping notification, they upgraded it to overnight shipping at no additional charge. Mouser might not be the cheapest of the options I found for these connectors and parts, but I'm impressed with their customer service so far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks