• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering a M927 or M928 to live in...

71DeuceAK

Latest bizarre idea:

So ever since I got familiar with the M939 series 5 ton trucks (Thanks, Steel Soldiers!) I've wanted a long bed version, an M927 or M928 (M927 with winch). Most people laugh at me, asking why on EARTH anyone in their right mind would want something so looooonnnnnngggggggg. I've always just wanted one (especially a M928A2) since they seem kind of uncommon.

So, I finally think I found a way to justify owning something that's like 30 feet long, and won't handle well in shopping center parking lots and fast food drive thru's to say the least. I'm thinking I'd get one, and build a plywood and 2X4 insulated box in the bed (removable of course) and LIVE in it! My current situation is college student living in the dorms, and compared to sharing a 9X17 room a 20X8 M927/M928 bed would be an INCREASE in living space by like twofold.

I've seen people's R/V M927 conversions but I'm having different ideas:

-For one thing, I don't want my fecal matter stored where I live, so it would probably NOT have a commode.
-For another thing, I currently live in Fairbanks, Alaska. Read: subzero winter temperatures. Believe it or not, many homes around here actually lack not only flushing commodes but running water, period, I kid you not! So at least here (not sure what DMV would think) I'd think that there wouldn't be issues with it being labeled as unsanitary/not fit as a dwelling, considering how many residential homes lack toilets.

-I would also completely avoid anything propane. I've read/heard too many stories of R/V propane-related fires, no thanks. Electric fridge and microwave and a hot plate. It wouldn't move a WHOLE lot, and even if I wasn't parked somewhere near power I could access I'd just get a quiet, lightweight, Honda EU2000i generator, I've lived with one as an only source of electricity in the past...in fact, literally running two households off of one. (but that's another story). Maybe eventually get a set of three 8D 12v lead acid batteries and charge them off the truck alternator and also have an inverter/charger to have 120v when not plugged in, and also charge batteries off of whatever power I can plug into or run my own generator. Maybe a couple solar panels.

My thoughts for this are affordable, unique housing while in college/graduate school, that's easily moved (driving the truck somewhere vs. actually moving).

I'm not sure what DMV, etc would think of basically an RV, but with no bathroom...anyone have ideas? I'm sure it varies by state but Alaska (Where I currently live) is pretty lax I think, though California (which is really home for me) is way more strict when it comes to stuff like this.

Let's hear other people's input! I'm curious if I've really lost it this time, or no. I think I just might get an M927A2 or M928A2 and do this...

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

Point taken, but for me part of it is specifically wanting a long bed cargo version, box can be lifted out to use as a cargo when needed. Simply put, I've just plain wanted a M927 or m928...

Any other thoughts?

red

Point taken, but for me part of it is specifically wanting a long bed cargo version, box can be lifted out to use as a cargo when needed. Simply put, I've just plain wanted a M927 or m928...

Any other thoughts?
Understandable.

What would you want to build the box out of and what is your budget range? Considering the length of the truck you could get a m146 trailer and modify it to sit on the bed, or a 20ft shipping container.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds cool to me!

A few things you might research are super insulated building designs and small heat exchange ventilators.

With an a1 or a2 you have about 8'-6" of available height off the bed to work with.

Building a wooden structure capable of being lifted or slid off may get expensive. I also think you might want to look at a used 20' shipping container and using closed cell poly spray insulation on the inside. A shipping container would also be strong enough to overhang on a shorter wheelbase if you cant find a long truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

71DeuceAK

For gasoline, I was picturing also putting a generator farther away on an extension cord.

Would a 20' shipping container fit in the M927/M928 bed, with original dropsides still up to hold it in place? Door situation would change for sure on the end of the container. I was thinking the shipping container route originally but wasn't sure it would fit. But I like the idea. Spray insulation and plywood on the inside perhaps? It'd be one of those projects I'd be working on while living in it too, slowly improving the interior.

If nothing else, I've badly wanted a M927 or M928 for awhile now, if it pays for itself in the rent I save it's totally worth it IMHO.

Budget range? Currently, less than the 16.5K for a M928 I'm eyeballing. (I also want a M928, the winch version, even more cool/rare it seems). Hopefully that will change. I was thinking a couple grand for a plywood/2X4 box on the back, but a shipping container would probably be much cheaper. Then I could focus on the inside and an electrical system. Maybe 25K total? 30K if it includes finding a 927 or 928 umpteen states away and driving it back too? That'd also satisfy another bizarre bucket list item, cross country road trip in an M939 series 5 ton.

Any other ideas?

red

A 20ft shipping container does not fit inside the bed, the sides need to be dropped (exact same width).

A 20ft container will run about 4k, a m146 probably about 2k.

If I were in your position I would go with either a m146 trailer or a m934/m820. Both of them have better door setups, windows, no need to modify the external for that stuff. With the m146 you could leave it as a trailer and pickup a tractor to tow it. When you need a cargo bed just disconnect the tractor and connect to a different trailer or make a removable bed for the tractor. Or buy the m146, build up the living quarters while you search for the m927/m928, then modify the trailer to go onto the truck.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Descent shipping containers run around 2k in this area.

Yes, the 20' bed sides are fixed.

I would put jack legs on the bed and the container, make everything quick connect and swap them out when necessary, but might not be practical unless you had a place to store one or the other when not in use.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Descent shipping containers run around 2k in this area.

Yes, the 20' bed sides are fixed.

I would put jack legs on the bed and the container, make everything quick connect and swap them out when necessary, but might not be practical unless you had a place to store one or the other when not in use.
Unless you get an iso bed

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have an M927A2 that has been modified to pull a military van trailer. I pulled the 20 foot bed and replaced it with a dropside and put a 5th wheel behind the bed to pull the van with. That allows me to still have a cargo truck but also be able to pull the mobile "Stabbin Cabin".

I have a 20 foot ISO bed that will haul a 20 foot shipping container if I decide to swap it onto the M927.

I have considered selling it but they are hard to find so if you want to make an offer feel free.

I'm a long way from Alaska.

Attachments

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am just going to put in my two cents since I am in college too. It doesn't seem practical to spend that sort of money to customize a truck to live in, especially in Alaska. Buying an mv is one thing, but sinking thousands into it to live in is another. The money you put into it to use it as a living space you will never get it back out. This being my third time in college (getting my doctorate), I can say you never know where life will take you next. It seems like it would be cool to throw money into it now but when you graduate and get a job will you #1 be able to take it with you, #2 be able to afford to take it with you, #3 want to continue living in a truck? Hope I don't offend you just a thought.

Nomadic

I am just going to put in my two cents since I am in college too. It doesn't seem practical to spend that sort of money to customize a truck to live in, especially in Alaska. Buying an mv is one thing, but sinking thousands into it to live in is another. The money you put into it to use it as a living space you will never get it back out. This being my third time in college (getting my doctorate), I can say you never know where life will take you next. It seems like it would be cool to throw money into it now but when you graduate and get a job will you #1 be able to take it with you, #2 be able to afford to take it with you, #3 want to continue living in a truck? Hope I don't offend you just a thought.
I'm looking to do the same as the OP. You make some good points. As far as putting money in that will never come back out, paying rent has the same impact. You never get that rent money back.

If a person plans to spend 4 years in college, buys a $17k rig, lives in it through college and the space the truck is parked at is free, after the second year that person will be saving money. That is unless rent is $355 a month or less.

71DeuceAK

Thanks for all the replies guys!

-A dropside M927 bed would be great, I'd happily swap somebody for a dropside bed for ease of installing/removing whatever I use for a box. Wreckerman893, I'll PM you.

-As far as taking the truck with me after I graduate, heck yeah I would with absolutely no hesitation whatsoever. More like it taking me, with me in the driver's seat. After getting one I wouldn't trade a long bed for the world.

-The quick connects are an interesting idea, but as fas as space to store the other when not needed I'm not sure I'd necessarily have THAT luxury. Though one of my bizarre ideas involves parking the truck on a newly acquired undeveloped piece of property and living it while building something else more substantial.

-As far as rent, funny someone should mention less than 355/ month. With all the homes/cabins in my area that have no running water (local term/phrase is "Dry Cabin"). Rent is like 500/month, no joke, for places like that. Not bad if you don't mind the outhouse at -40F in the winter. But I have the same thought...1200/month for an apartment, or throw en equal amount into something I could resell or use as mobile shop space later in life or even just the world's most unusual 5 ton storage shed. Plus part of me says "Why NOT?". Moving should also hopefully be easier: Just move the truck!

Still open to more ideas! Nomadic, you thinking about using a long bed?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just more food for thought.

Some day... I plan on putting a used 20'ish camper on the back of my 925, but again this will involve removing the bed and the trailer axles. You could likely go a little better than 30' on a long wheel base truck, height will be a challenge though.

But, if you could find a small piece of property to live on you could just park your camper there and drive your 928 to school daily

Keep researching, you'll find a solution that fits your budget and dreams!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks