• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering an M916A1

detroitdiesel97

Can anyone tell me if the Freightliner M916A1 is a good truck? I am considering getting one sometime but I need more opinions so I don't end up wasting my money on something I'm not gonna end up wanting. I like the truck because of its styling, autobox, all wheel drive, simple climate controls, air system, and the almighty Detroit Series 60 under the hood. I want to turn it into sort of a beefed up Deuce with maybe singles on all 3 axles and a cargo bed in the back. I'm sold on the Detroit S60 cause I love the sound of them and know how to work on them myself. What are your opinions?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Investgate the top speed, the A1 is a bit of a slowpoke. Parts can be problematic too.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The A1 has 4.89 gears with the allison 5spd with a direct 5th. It runs too high to have any power at its max 58/61 mph. It needs a 13spd or something a little better to keep the rpms down to keep the truck in its powerband. In a comparision a 916 with the 400/7155 combo will whip a A1 60 series/allison on any towing operation in my experience. A former member here has one and it can't hardly get out of its own way when he put it on 1600s then he tried 395s and it is still gutless pulling the 870A3 trailers empty or loaded.

The regular old 916 has 6.17 gears. single speed transfer case and a cat 7155 with many gear choices. About 60 is its top speed at the governed 2100 but it will go higher and faster. It also has a .83 overdrive.

I have a 916 with the cummins 400/7155 combo for sale here in TN.

On another note you could adapt the cat 7155 behind a Detroit 60 series as it has been done by a member on here. The detroit likes the 1300 to 1600 powerband not 2000+ screaming down the highway.

Last edited:

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I am happy with mine,I just used it today to haul my case excavator.It weighs 15 tons,no speed demon .but works good for me with all these hills.Im sure a manual trans would be awesome.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks