• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Continental 6602 engines

Joe Bertram

I've been working on putting an old M-62 wrecker back together that had an 6602 in it that had a bad head or head gasket with water in the oil. I was able to find one on eBay up in Akron Ohio at sam winners that apparently came from a military firetruck at some point. Got it running last fall and planning on finishing with cooling and wiring this summer and with any luck painting the truck late summer this year. East Central Indiana

Joe Bertram

We are re-furbing an M62, has the 6602 in it and, as far as I can tell, still runs solid. I'll know more after it gets done. It drove to the shop under its own power.

@swiss , you ever had to do the hydraulic lines from the pump up through the center to the slip ring?

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
I thought it was an M-816. But have never seen the M-62. When I got to my unit in 73, I never had anything to do with a wrecker until a few years later. By then it was the M816. That one, I used a lots over the years.

Joe Bertram

I thought it was an M-816. But have never seen the M-62. When I got to my unit in 73, I never had anything to do with a wrecker until a few years later. By then it was the M816. That one, I used a lots over the years.
I went through and painted my 816 in 2022 and did the m-62 in 2023 they kinda look alike when quickly going through pictures to post from my phone. I love the way the m-62 runs and sounds we got it from military auction in 1996 or so when I was about 15 and about 15 years ago it started getting water in the oil, sat for 10+ years looked like it was going to get scrapped until I just happened to look on eBay and found a 6602 from sam Werner in Akron. Used the 816 to do the swap and breathed new life into the truck.

Guyfang

Staff member
I seem to remember a VTR, in WOC TEC school, that used a Gas driven motor. It was old as St. Peter. Loud, and spit fire out the exhaust. After it fired up, no one wanted to look at the M-88, or any other thing in the Motor Park, just that old gasser. I was no exception. Ya gotta love an old fir breathing Gasoline engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks