• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting a cargo truck to a tractor

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ramps, dropped rear cross member (kiig pin clearence at the start of the ramps)

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
To bad you are so far away.I have a m932a2 I want to put a bed on.I will be taking my tractor stuff off.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you want to be able the engage the trailer brakes without using the brake pedal you will need to install a hand valve (also known as a "trolley brake" or "Johnny Bar") inside the cab (usually on the steering column).

This is useful when coupling to a trailer that has an air over hydralic brake system.....you have to lock the brakes (or chock the wheels) to keep from pushing the trailer around.

BillMc

So quickfarms, did you make the conversion? I am presently debating the same thing. There is a local guy that has a semi with a flatbed on the rails and the fith wheel on top of the bed. I was thinking of doing something like that so I could use the bed to haul a small load not requiring the trailer.

jdknech

So quickfarms, did you make the conversion? I am presently debating the same thing. There is a local guy that has a semi with a flatbed on the rails and the fith wheel on top of the bed. I was thinking of doing something like that so I could use the bed to haul a small load not requiring the trailer.
the problem with this is height, i have a stock M932A1 tractor, and the 5th wheel plate is 5 FEET off the ground!!:???: (most civy tracters are only 37" off the ground) because of this, i can not hook to most civy van trailers because i would be over height (max is 13.6) if you add a bed under that, you would be up atleast another foot.. it would really restrict what you can pull..

quickfarms

the problem with this is height, i have a stock M932A1 tractor, and the 5th wheel plate is 5 FEET off the ground!!:???: (most civy tracters are only 37" off the ground) because of this, i can not hook to most civy van trailers because i would be over height (max is 13.6) if you add a bed under that, you would be up atleast another foot.. it would really restrict what you can pull..
I would like to see a civilian tractor with a 37" fifth wheel height. Mine is about 49" for a civilian tractor. Standard tires are about 44" tall and low profiles are a couple of inches lower. You can lower a military fifth wheel height about 5" by changing to a civilian fifth wheel.

jdknech

I would like to see a civilian tractor with a 37" fifth wheel height. Mine is about 49" for a civilian tractor. Standard tires are about 44" tall and low profiles are a couple of inches lower. You can lower a military fifth wheel height about 5" by changing to a civilian fifth wheel.
I stand corrrected... i was just going off what i was told was the height of the 5th wheel by a family member..

hi there jcappeljr, how do you have your tractor truck titled and insured with taking the fifth wheel and tractor stuff off ? I have a 1984 M915A1 that I want to convert to a flatbed and maybe with a dump on it. thanks, michael lee goldsboro, nc

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uuuuuh, this thread is 3 1/2 years old. You might want to try and PM him

has anyone dealt with or know about anyone converting an M915A1 from a tractor truck to just a flatbed by removing fifth wheeel plate and the guide rails ? also with maybe a hydraulic dump on it ?

thanks for any info.
Michael Lee
Goldsboro, NC

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
C&C equipment in Indiana make the dump kits for the M35 beds and 5 tons. Shouldn't be an issue once you remove the 5th wheel plate. I don't know the exact measurements on the 915 but I don't seem them being much different in length of a M929. That being said anything can be made to work. Just get a 5 ton bed and shorten it up.

RumRunner742

So did the conversion actually happen? Has anyone else attempted it? I'm considering converting my 925A2 to a tractor since prices are through the roof now. I have a line on a 5th wheel plate and "christmas tree" from a member, but I'm concerned about running the trailer air and electric.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks