• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting an NF2 Trailer to a mobile Solar System

dreadstar42

I got my NF-2 a couple of months ago and it needs some TLC.
So far, i have removed the hitch arm as it was bent... looking for metal works or collision repair folks.
Just pulled 2 hubs to replace the bearing and noticed the brakes were in bad shape (at least one spring fell out when i opened up the drum)Does anyone know the specs on that hardware? Standard parts or search terms. Likewise, I notice the handbrake seem rusted solid some where in the conduit. Anyone have specs on that? I found this spec sheet which seemed to describe possible replacement parts.

Attachments

dreadstar42

Replacing the Bearings update:
found that the exterior bearings: timken 09067/09195 (19.05 mm x 49.23 mm)
interior: timken 15123/15245 (31.75mm x 62mm)
grease seals:
  • 1.875 Inch I.D.
  • 2.500 Inch O.D.

These of course are not the standard size. So far i was able to find the exterior. But no joy on the interior set. Msg me if you want to know where. (dont want to run afoul of the rules). Likewise if you know where to get these bearings, please share the info with me. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

... Msg me if you want to know where. (dont want to run afoul of the rules). Likewise if you know where to get these bearings, please share the info with me. Thanks!
Last I heard it's still OK to post direct links/references to where you bought parts as long as they are from a Commercial Business as in "COTS" (Commercial Of The Shelf) stocked parts at fixed pricing (not up for auction or bids).

Much of the value in the SS forums is the sharing of helpful knowledge, be it technical/mechanical knowledge & tips as well as where to find parts, especially hard to find commercially available parts for our Steel Soldiers!

The rule as I understood it from years back was...to prevent collusion on bidding at the Gov't Auctions or eBay or similar, or otherwise any interfering/manipulating of pricing (up or down). Also, if someone has already done their own research & due diligence, its not fair for another person to come along & "broadcast & post direct links to items up for bid" especially if limited in availability. Though one can mention that they saw some item on eBay or Gov't Planet in "general terms" but no links. You then gotta go research & find it yourself.

That's my understanding of the essence of the rules. If it has changed I would like to know.

dreadstar42

Last I heard it's still OK to post direct links/references to where you bought parts as long as they are from a Commercial Business as in "COTS" (Commercial Of The Shelf) stocked parts at fixed pricing (not up for auction or bids).

Much of the value in the SS forums is the sharing of helpful knowledge, be it technical/mechanical knowledge & tips as well as where to find parts, especially hard to find commercially available parts for our Steel Soldiers!

The rule as I understood it from years back was...to prevent collusion on bidding at the Gov't Auctions or eBay or similar, or otherwise any interfering/manipulating of pricing (up or down). Also, if someone has already done their own research & due diligence, its not fair for another person to come along & "broadcast & post direct links to items up for bid" especially if limited in availability. Though one can mention that they saw some item on eBay or Gov't Planet in "general terms" but no links. You then gotta go research & find it yourself.

That's my understanding of the essence of the rules. If it has changed I would like to know.
I had posted a link to an NF2 available from the same guy i bought this one and got stern chastising :) So figured i would rather be safe than sorry. the one i know of is here in GA for $650 (his asking) and has the generator and light kit still in place though almost certainly not operational.

Have you had any luck with the Tie Rod ends Brake Drum or the hand brake assembly? I would really appreciate some direction on those.

Chainbreaker

Unfortunately for you, though good for me, I can't offer much help due to my NF-2 never having needed any work on its undercarriage components. It all worked nicely when I got it and it should now except the tires are showing signs of dry rotting but not an issue as I don't have to move it...yet that is.

My NF-2/ MEP-002 unit is down at my barn area tied to the interlock panel at my barn's service entrance. Since I parked it there, I haven't had to move it anywhere (so parking brake is set & it doesn't move) as my barn's circle driveway is right next to it making servicing & refueling very easy. Originally, it was also going to be a spare genset unit for house requiring moving up to house if my #1 house generator were to fail. The "2 is 1, 1 is None" rule definitely applies to generators. I now have 4 same model gensets so its become a "4 is 2, 2 is none" rule by virtue having 2 service entrances, 2 well pumps & 2 pumped septic systems for house + barn/shop. Given the circumstances it quickly becomes "mission critical" during an outage lasting more than a few hours.

Yeah, these days Imperial mixed with Metric doesn't surprise me.

Yes, I have made great use of My NF-2 enclosed MEP-002a during the multi-day power outages we have had. The NF-2 enclosure has protected my genset through, rain, sleet, snow, ice and windstorms. My enclosed genset runs well pump, shop with hot water heater & barn/shop lighting. Without it I would be schlepping a LOT of water from house & using flashlights, 700' away from house, to keep our 4 horses happy.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Also, I will be following your mobile solar power project progress, so please keep us informed with your progress.

I think the NF-2 enclosure should work out great. There are a lot of SS members here that seem very well versed in Solar Power storage & distribution. You can bounce ideas/ask questions regarding panels, controllers, distribution etc.

Should be a fun & worthwhile project to have a mobile solar power setup. I would love to eventually be in a position to be "off the grid" or close to it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks