• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting my M1008 to 12v with a 454/ ended up going 5.3 LS with 4l80

Cucvnut

does anyone know if a tbi stock wiring harness with bolt up to the stock fuse block in the truck ? or do i need to change it out ? also when switching to a 454 can i use the stock torque converter or do i want to get a gas torque converter ?

pigfoot63

Diesel runs different converter and govenor, but I am using the stock setup out of a 1008 in my 87 Suburban now and it works fine. 87 Sub 454, Dana 60 frt . 14 bolt rear 4.56 gears, 37.5 1250 16.5 tires.

REGULATOR

Sorry to interupt:
Is your stock CUCV wiring harness intact?

mine has been all hacked up for 12v conversion by edward scissors hands.

would love to get ahold of a stock 24v harness if its not too bad off

let me know, also I'm in no hurry so can wait.

-------------

back to the thread...

:)

POOR WHITE BOY

Drained fuel tank. There is a thread on fitting right behind the passenger front wheel - great spot to plumb fuel line/pump - i had to use electric fuel pump because i installed a 1993 454 engine - mark v - no fuel pump boss on block.

POOR WHITE BOY

I have been slacking but will post some photos as mine is almost ready to crank.it will be running this week. I had to do away with the tbi because the donor motor had a engine fire - wiring harness was damaged badly. I also had to get some adapters/bushings made for the radiator hoses - to keep the stock diesel radiator. The inlet and outlet are very large on the diesel radiator

Cucvnut

what headders did you go with ? are they long or short ? and where did you get the adapters for the radiator ? and hoses do you have part numbers for this stuff ? cool pictures

Last edited:

POOR WHITE BOY

Headers are the oem chevy/gmc 1986 454 truck headers.they are made of stainless steel. They came on all 1986 trucks and rv's with a 454 engine - they last forever and clean up with steel wool. I installed the correct metric pipe plugs where the smog tube holes were. They are short and only require minor exhaust modifications to hook up and look oem . I will get you some photos of the hose adapters - they were custom made for me out of aluminum pipe

pigfoot63

Like the headers, do you have clearancce to run the two quart oil filter with them.
I used the stock CUCV lower hose by cutting the end of the stock 454 hose off and using it for an insert. Top hose is 72 chevelle with exhaust pipe adapter and spacer hose going to radiator

POOR WHITE BOY

A big block radiator out of a 1988 thru 1991 R/V series will bolt right in . Needs to have a 19inch x 34 inch core. I have these manifolds on 3 of my trucks - they look good , donot leak , and appear stock.i will post more photos in the next couple of days.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks