• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convoy Light Covers

SierraHotel

Figured I’d throw this out for food for thought.

Several years ago I bought a set of convoy lights for my Deuce, principally to warn the D.C. area speed demons that that rumbling hunk of steel going up a hill is not at the speed of sound like them, but they also are great for the parades.

Well, wanting to protect my investment, I refused to install them until I obtained some decent branch guards to cover them. Living in a rural area, they have their fair share of fights with branches and I did not want to replace any lenses before I absolutely had to. I’ve got to imagine they are quite expensive…if you can find them. Just finding the guards was an odyssey in itself.

Once the branch guards were installed, all was right with the world until I considered the plastic lenses and the nasty effects of the sun. I purchased some surplus heavy fabric from eBay, and with the help of a sister talented with fabric fabrication, I now have protective covers from the sun. They're a little loose to allow the future installation of brake lights on the stalks.
10.07.13 Convoy Lights 004.jpg10.07.13 Convoy Lights 002.jpg10.07.13 Convoy Lights 003.jpg

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they waterproof/resistant? I'd be concerned with them holding water if they aren't.

ducer

They are water-resistant, 500 denier nylon. I plan to further waterproof them with some spray tent sealer, although I'm not worried about the lights getting wet.
You should be! Water is the biggest enemy of beacons. I would let the sun have at them before I ever coverd them up to hold moisture and condensation. The only reason to cover them up is if they were an illegal color (red/blue non leo or emergency vehicle. Polish the lenses 2x a year with a good plastic polish. I have a set of Unity beacons outside for 20 years (since I put new lenses on) and the lenses are still clear. The lights are over 40 years old and still work good.

Denny

eagle4g63

I like the idea of having a cover for the lights.......I can actually see 3 reasons for covers, one you said, two....to better hide, and three for off roading protection!!!

Originally I wanted to do something just like the OP's covers, but I ended up going with a different covering for mine....better branch protection.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks