• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cool tool for installing tight belts

snowtrac nome

The new chevy and fords have non adjustable components like ac compressors and power steering pumps. That tool is to stretch the special serpentine belt on I doubt it will work with a normal serpentine belt or a v belt, the stretch fit belts are designed to stretch more than a regular belt and than return like a rubber band.

snowtrac nome

drained water out of the front diff and installed a new engine runs like a top. It was nosed in to a hole and sucked water through the air intake

Merddin

My father, who has been a mechanic for over 40 years showed me how to tighten the belt with a big flathead screwdriver. One that is 16-18" long with a thick diameter. Most alternators have a spot were a screw driver or crowbar can be inserted and pushed in the direction of tightening the belt. The locking bolts of whatever you are putting on should be snug but not tight. You want it to pivot but not too easily.

So you push on the screwdriver, using it's leverage to tighten the belt. As you are doing this, you begin to tighten the locking bolt. Essentially, push about as much as you can and then tighten bolts. Now try to strum the belt like a guitar string. When it is loose it makes a low sound. As you tighten the belt more, the tone of the belt will become higher. You want the tone of the belt to sound a little high. I have stuck to this after installing new gates belts and having both alts rebuilt and no problems with squeeling yet.

Finally, the tool looks nice, but it is 17$. You could buy a big screw driver for less than 15$ and you would use that more than you know for a variety of jobs. The belt tool would sit in your garage and take up space.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks