• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

coolent heater blowing cold air

jsthnt@gmail.com

My coolent heater is blowing cold air. It is in the cab and the engine is getting up to normal tempeture. What do I need to check to fix this problem. Or would it be better to just get an electric heater?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or you could also have and "air lock" in it. Loosen one or both hose clamps at the heater, and see if some air woun't escape. Try both, so you are sure. Leave the pressure cap on the raditor, so there is some pressure in the system.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or you could also have and "air lock" in it. Loosen one or both hose clamps at the heater, and see if some air woun't escape. Try both, so you are sure. Leave the pressure cap on the raditor, so there is some pressure in the system.
That's a dangerous thing to do when you have a cooling system up at pressure and temp. unless you like big blisters on your skin. Do it when it's cool and you can pressurize the system with a pressure tester if you need to.

After you have driven the truck until it reaches operating temp the hoses to the "cab heater" should be hot.
If they are not hot after verifying that both valves on the 2 hoses are open then the "heater core" could be plugged up.
To clean this stuff out you will need to disconnect both hoses and use a garden hose to send water through it in the >>opposite direction<< to the normal flow until the water coming out is clear. Then do it in the other direction until it is clear. Keep reversing the flow until it is always clear.

If it was plugged with stuff you will easily see it wash out.
You do not need to remove any part of the heater from the truck to do this. Hold the hoses in your hand and yes you will most likely get wet. I have been doing this "repair" for 45+ years and usually get wet doing it.

One very important consideration here is >do not< get fittings to make a leak proof connection to the heater core. You will most likely blow the core apart rendering it useless.
Most vehicle radiator systems maximum pressure is 14psi. Your home system is at least 45psi on a well or city water systems tend to be about 80psi.

e

sandcobra164

Most of these heaters have a bleed valve on top of it. When I installed my heater, I started the truck with the radiator cap off and cracked the bleeder till it had coolant coming out and all has been fine. Depending on who installed the heater, it could be tied into the wrong passages on the motor, there's an old PS article concerning this. The top hose is plumped into the thermostat housing on the motor, not radiator side of the thermostat and the bottom plumbs into the water pump and you have to move the generator out of the way to open and close the petcock on it.

aaron379

After you have driven the truck until it reaches operating temp the hoses to the "cab heater" should be hot.
If they are not hot after verifying that both valves on the 2 hoses are open then the "heater core" could be plugged up.
To clean this stuff out you will need to disconnect both hoses and use a garden hose to send water through it in the >>opposite direction<< to the normal flow until the water coming out is clear. Then do it in the other direction until it is clear. Keep reversing the flow until it is always clear.

If it was plugged with stuff you will easily see it wash out.
You do not need to remove any part of the heater from the truck to do this. Hold the hoses in your hand and yes you will most likely get wet. I have been doing this "repair" for 45+ years and usually get wet doing it.

One very important consideration here is >do not< get fittings to make a leak proof connection to the heater core. You will most likely blow the core apart rendering it useless.
Most vehicle radiator systems maximum pressure is 14psi. Your home system is at least 45psi on a well or city water systems tend to be about 80psi.

e
You beat me to it..... AGREE 100% I have used air to clear the blockage but you do risk blowing the heater core apart but it worked fine for me on 3 vehicles

Tlauden

Just my .02 cents here, if there was junk blocking your heater core then you might want to consider flushing the whole system, that probably means there is junk in your radiator also. And you might risk the chance of blocking your heater core back up. Plus clean coolant may give you better heat out of your heater

treeguy

"Depending on who installed the heater, it could be tied into the wrong passages on the motor, there's an old PS article concerning this. The top hose is plumped into the thermostat housing on the motor, not radiator side of the thermostat and the bottom plumbs into the water pump and you have to move the generator out of the way to open and close the petcock on it."

Bingo! I had the same problem when I first got my truck. Found that this was the problem. I think unless one was aware of the many ports available to run the hoses then just seeing the hoses connected to the engine would make you skip checking their positions.

bguy193

Just my .02 cents here, if there was junk blocking your heater core then you might want to consider flushing the whole system, that probably means there is junk in your radiator also. And you might risk the chance of blocking your heater core back up. Plus clean coolant may give you better heat out of your heater
I would have to agree.

steelandcanvas

Bjorn (Cranetruck) will usually chime in with the PS article that refers to the correct heater hose hook-up on the water pump. I tried looking for it but had no luck. Next time I see it, I will download it.

jsthnt@gmail.com

The heater is in the cab. And there is one hose on the top coming out right above the alternator. And the other one goes to the back of the engine on the bottom. I flushed the radiator this summer, but there was a hole in the hose to the heater so it did not get flushed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks