• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct 1982 Army green

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did find this..
When the Army adopted CARC in 1983, it issued a set of guidelines on how the transition from alkyd to CARC was to transpire. The transition began in October 1985 (start of Fiscal Year 1986) for systems already in the field. The guidelines were as follows:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I did find this..
When the Army adopted CARC in 1983, it issued a set of guidelines on how the transition from alkyd to CARC was to transpire. The transition began in October 1985 (start of Fiscal Year 1986) for systems already in the field. The guidelines were as follows:
Missing the rest of your post?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was the relevant part.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking 24087 but that did not come up because I forgot it is semi gloss and I was searching flat, I knew it was a something 087, that is what I painted one of my Unimogs, like that color and then it was dirt cheap surplus.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just so you can see it, the hard top that I bought came with woodland camo already painted on it. You can see from the picture below that my 1983 Wrecker (M936) is 383 Green and the truck and the top are a really close match.

Hard Top 383 Green Compared to Cab.jpg

The boom in the picture below has some 383 RAPCO Rattle Can Green that I used to cover up some rust. I used a wire brush on a grinder, used rust inhibitor, Used RAPCO Rattle Can Primer, then painted. (I wore a mask)

There is definitely some paint fade, but the color is as right as it gets...

Boom 383 Paint Fade.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If so I would assume 34087 would be correct
No, that is a WWII color. 24087 would be under a MERDC camouflage.
Just so you can see it, the hard top that I bought came with woodland camo already painted on it. You can see from the picture below that my 1983 Wrecker (M936) is 383 Green and the truck and the top are a really close match.

View attachment 876033

The boom in the picture below has some 383 RAPCO Rattle Can Green that I used to cover up some rust. I used a wire brush on a grinder, used rust inhibitor, Used RAPCO Rattle Can Primer, then painted. (I wore a mask)

There is definitely some paint fade, but the color is as right as it gets...

View attachment 876034
No doubt your wrecker has 383 green on it NOW, but you can be assured that that paint is not what was sprayed on at the AM General factory 39 years ago. These "A0" trucks came with alkyd enamel MERDC camo.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No, that is a WWII color. 24087 would be under a MERDC camouflage.

No doubt your wrecker has 383 green on it NOW, but you can be assured that that paint is not what was sprayed on at the AM General factory 39 years ago. These "A0" trucks came with alkyd enamel MERDC camo.
I would agree except that at some point in time, the US Army sprayed it with CARC. I think there is a date on it too - but definitely has the word stenciled on the door. Maybe they keep wreckers longer than troop transports maybe? I dunno.

Mine is definitely an A0.

Mine also isn't outfitted with normal winches. She has hydraulics on the front and back and no level winder on the back. Best we can tell, this may have been used as a test bed that included the special winches and a folding platform on the side of the gondola. Also has a different revision of the anti-lock brake system.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So far the green that I have uncovered appears to be darker than 303.
The FAVs were delivered to FT Lewis in 1982 and were painted (Ferris metals and fiberglass only) black, they were then taken into a secure building and modified for combat. The personnel on the base referred to that building as the "Skunk Works" I am sure the first thing the Army did was paint them green.
Then 16 of them including mine was sent to the DOE in Nevada to patrol the Nuclear Test Facility, they received a desert camo paint job that included a brown that would more accurately be described as almost gold.
Then they painted it a hideous color that is pretty close to Salmon YUCK!!, all three of the Nevada bunch that have surfaced so far were painted that hideous color.
Although looking at some pictures of that area that salmon might be a good color.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, I did a couple searches without getting any what seemed like credible information, as soon as I had the number 34079 it now seems pretty clear, mid 70s through the mid 80s was 34079.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am a little impatient, trying to get my ducks lined up but no more "discovery" is going to take place until the title/registration is settled, I might find some "protected" green paint when tearing the FAV down after that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks